New user with issues!

Discussion related to the Garmin Oregon 7x0 series GPSr
Raiden38

New user with issues!

Unread post by Raiden38 »

Hi

I just bought a second hand Garmin Oregon 750T and it was crashing all the time (even crashing on the boot screen!!!)
So I paid to get a remplacement and I am not quite sure the new one is working perfectly.. Let met tell you my issues and please let me know if you feed the device is defective, or it's normal "bugs" that you all have...

Just FYI, I have updated the device to 4.4 and it's connected to both wifi and bluetooth. I am on the Geocaching profile with successful connection to the geocaching website (device registered).

1) In the map screen, when I don't touch to the screen for 5 seconds, I have a popup at the bottom that show the gps level, battery, activity time, and a home, start and hamburger icon. Even if I pull it down, it will come back as soon as I don't touch the screen for 5 seconds. This is quite annoying. Is there a way to remove that?. The support guy at Garmin told me that he doesn't have that on his device and offered me another exchange!!

2) My device crashed when I put the geocache as found and the search for the next. The device would completely turn off. I also had a few turn off, just random while using the device. I put in a class10 sd card in it, perhaps that's the issue. I will remove it and try again

3) The weather always show « Waiting for data » even if the radar tab seems to work fine

SO.... Does this require another replacement or you also have those issues?

My other questions:

1) Is there a way to send geocache log as draft as I would like to add some text before officially sending the log?

2) Where can I find the tides hours?

3) How can I change the default zoom when I search for geocache? By default it is at 2km witch is too far away. Would like something like 500m. I always have to zoom in when I open this screen.

Thanks!!! :)
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: New user with issues!

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Part I:

1. Disable Activity Mode

2. How are you loading geocaches? This sounds like a GPX/GGZ file issue.

3. Verify you have an active internet connection. Which do you have?

Part II:

1. Not from the GPSr. Best way to do this is not automatically send logs to GC and then use a thrid party app to add logs before publishing (GSAK, MyGeocachingManager).

2. Where To? > Tides

3. Appears this is not user configurable
Raiden38

gpsrchive wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:06 am Part I:

1. Disable Activity Mode
Removing activity mode removed the profiles and makes the gps feels like my old etex! lol. However, it does resolve the issue. But strangely, I did reactivate the activity mode and the issue I had did not come back. so probably that just disabling/enabling activity mode fixed it!! Thanks so much!
gpsrchive wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:06 am
I'm loading them via Live GC, on either Wireless or Bluetooth connection. I did not copy any gpx files. The device also turned off a few times randomly when I was just playing around with it. Like when making my settings, etc.
Both Wifi and Bluetooth are enabled. All other network-related functions seems to work fine (such as downloading geocache) even the radar tab works fine.
Part II:

1. Not from the GPSr. Best way to do this is not automatically send logs to GC and then use a thrid party app to add logs before publishing (GSAK, MyGeocachingManager).
I normally use cachly on my iPhone and it works great. I just liked the option to add logs easily and quickly from my gps but would really like to saved them as draft first. Perhaps it's a suggestion we can make for the next update?
2. Where To? > Tides
Got it! Anyway to save it as a shortcut? I tried adding the tide location as a waypoint and creating a shortcut from it but it just want to send me there (and not show me the actual tides)
Thanks for your quick reply! I really appreciate your help!
Raiden38

Raiden38 wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:23 pm Removing activity mode removed the profiles and makes the gps feels like my old etex! lol. However, it does resolve the issue. But strangely, I did reactivate the activity mode and the issue I had did not come back. so probably that just disabling/enabling activity mode fixed it!! Thanks so much!
Just a quick note: It did not resolve the issue. Instead, the Auto-Start was enabled so it started the activity right away so the popup was hidden :) I don't really care that the activity auto-start in the background, it hides the popup so it solve the issue lol :)
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Raiden38 wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:23 pm
gpsrchive wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:06 am Part I:

1. Disable Activity Mode
Removing activity mode removed the profiles and makes the gps feels like my old etex! lol. However, it does resolve the issue. But strangely, I did reactivate the activity mode and the issue I had did not come back. so probably that just disabling/enabling activity mode fixed it!! Thanks so much!
The profiles are still available via 'Activity Change' - All Functions are still available with and without Activity Mode enabled. Activity Mode is just a streamlined UI some users prefer.
I'm loading them via Live GC, on either Wireless or Bluetooth connection. I did not copy any gpx files. The device also turned off a few times randomly when I was just playing around with it. Like when making my settings, etc.
Please send a crash report with *.xml files to Garmin as described at the top of the Common Issues page!
Both Wifi and Bluetooth are enabled. All other network-related functions seems to work fine (such as downloading geocache) even the radar tab works fine.
Test further with only Wi-Fi then only Bluetooth enabled to see if either work alone...
Part II:

I normally use cachly on my iPhone and it works great. I just liked the option to add logs easily and quickly from my gps but would really like to saved them as draft first. Perhaps it's a suggestion we can make for the next update?
Feature Request #4
2. Where To? > Tides
Got it! Anyway to save it as a shortcut? I tried adding the tide location as a waypoint and creating a shortcut from it but it just want to send me there (and not show me the actual tides)
Setup > Main Menu > Add Item > Where To? > Tides
Thanks for your quick reply! I really appreciate your help!
Raiden38

Thanks so much for your help!!!!

Where is the common issue page? To send the XML?

Also, do you have a page with all upcoming features request? Quite happy to see that suggestions can go through!

Thanks!
GPSrChive
Site Admin

See the Common Issues page.

Take some time to read through all pages in the wiki, and explore all links provided, there are more than 100K files and pages available already...
Raiden38

Found it!!! Thanks so much, yes I will take a big look at it!

My oregon crashed again during a 1.5 hours geocaching hunt. Not that bad but for me, a GPS device should be 100% reliable. I really hope it won't crash if i'm stuck in the woods lol. I will send the error report to Garmin!

For the feature request, you noted:

Please include function to enable editing of geocache log notes on the device. [forum]

I think this feature already exist in the gps when you mark it as found, one option at the bottom seems to be to modify the log... What I would really want to have it:

Please include function to send the geocache automatic log as "draft" to be edited and submitted later. [forum]

thanks!
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Feature Request #5 added (forgot to post it here).
staffeman

Unread post by staffeman »

Raiden38 wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:56 am 1) In the map screen, when I don't touch to the screen for 5 seconds, I have a popup at the bottom that show the gps level, battery, activity time, and a home, start and hamburger icon. Even if I pull it down, it will come back as soon as I don't touch the screen for 5 seconds. This is quite annoying. Is there a way to remove that?. The support guy at Garmin told me that he doesn't have that on his device and offered me another exchange!!
This behavior is very annoying! Would like to use activity mode! I think it should be in the bugs list!

Return to “Oregon 7x0”