Lost Satellite Reception

Discussion related to the Garmin Oregon 7x0 series GPSr
Mikkyp20

Lost Satellite Reception

Unread post by Mikkyp20 »

I have an O750t with FW 4.40.
On 3 occasions I have lost the satellite signal in a clear open sky while out cycling. Each time was in different parts of the town and after using the GPSr for approx 4 hours. Each time I was using white or black Eneloop batteries and there was one or more bars indicated on the battery level indicator. Twice was when the satellite setting was for GPS & GLONASS turned on and once with GPS only. On the first occasion, the battery level was 1 bar and after I replaced the batteries and the problem was resolved. The last 2 occasions the battery level was 2 bars and the problem sorted itself out after about 10 minutes. I have been using garmin Oregon GPSr for over 8 years for cycling and have never experienced lost satellite reception in an open clear sky. :shock:
Mikkyp20

Re: Lost Satellite Reception

I'm surprised no one has commented on this issue.

Last month I did a full factory reset on the unit and everything has worked fine since. Let's hope this will permanently fix this. :D
nrp

Unread post by nrp »

Hello,

hoping your issue is now resolved, but for my 700 I've not been as successful...

I do a lot of hiking (often multiple hikes per week), and started noticing similar problems a couple of months after getting a 700 to replace a lost 600 series (long story on that loss!). A reset appeared to solve the problem at that time.

Skip forward six months, and I start having a whole bunch of problems. First, after the batteries run out (forgot to turn off at the end of the hike) the 700 wouldn't restart, even with new batteries. Only by connecting to the computer will the 700 clear itself and turn on. So I did a reset and completely cleared out all my tracks, and things seemed to be ok for a week or so.

Then a whole new set of problems has started... First, on one hike I noticed that the track accuracy was way off -- GPS track showed I had wondered off trail by a half-mile or more multiple times, extending the trail length by 3 or 4 miles. Then, started losing the satellite signal multiple times as you did towards the end of a hike (I think the last hike I had lost the signal and regained it 4 times in the span of 15 minutes). All of these issues with about 2 bars of battery life left with rechargeable batteries.

I then contacted Garmin support, and after a long discussion they indicated that they believed the unit is defective, and they're shipping me out a new/refurb unit. I'll let you know if I have better luck with this one.

Neal
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

I have not had the misfortune of experiencing this behavior on my Oregon 7x0 v4.70 - thus I have had nothing to add to the conversation.

NRP, was GLONASS enabled when these incidents occured? If yes, can you test again without GLONASS enabled?

I did just post another issue I am seeing with the compass on my Oregon 7x0 in a different thread, perhaps some of you can attempt duplication and report results there?

Thank You!
Mikkyp20

I lost satellite reception only after the unit was in use for approx 4hrs. Turning the GPSr off and back on solved the issue. I did not use it for another 4 hrs, so cannot comment on whether it would happen again.

I think the issue was related to the time in use and not the batteries

The full factory reset I performed has sorted out my issue, and the problem has not come back to date. Let's hope it was a permanent fix. :D
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Mikkyp20, were you using GLONASS when the fault occurred?
Mikkyp20

Sadly this issue has come up again. Usually after the GPSr has been in use for over 4 hours. Turning the unit off and back on provides a temporary fix.
gpsrchive wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:36 pm Mikkyp20, were you using GLONASS when the fault occurred?
Using GPS only, with FW 4.90.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Thanks for getting back to us so quickly, Mikkyp20 !

There is one additional update v5.00, maybe see if it still occurs with that version?
Mikkyp20

gpsrchive wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:01 am There is one additional update v5.00, maybe see if it still occurs with that version?
The issue is still there with FW 5.0.

Return to “Oregon 7x0”