Missing Basemap on Oregon 750

Discussion related to the Garmin Oregon 7x0 series GPSr
HCMP

Missing Basemap on Oregon 750

Unread post by HCMP »

I updated my 750 as suggested by Garmin Express prior to a backcountry trip in Sept. This was a mistake as I received a "Cannot authenticate maps. Contact map content seller for help." error message. Previously, when I have received this message, there has been an "OK" button that allowed the unit to operate normally. This time, however, the unit went haywire, crashing repeatedly as it tried to load the maps. This is ironic given that I only have maps from Garmin on the unit - Canada topo v2, GB topo v2, US topo 100k v5 - but I suspect may have something to do with the fact that these are old and come on CD/DVD which confuses Garmin Express/the unit somehow?? In any case, I managed to get it going for the trip by resetting and removing the sd card. I loaded what map segments I needed on internal memory.

Now, several months later, I have got around to trying to fix the problem (I left it this long largely because I dread dealing with Garmin support.) I have fixed most of the problems with several factory resets and reformatting and reloading the SD card. Somehow during this process, the basemap that came with the unit was deleted. (I have found it quite useful over the years.) I did not, to my knowledge, explicitly delete anything from the unit but the relevant file - gmapbmap.img - is not there. (Naively, I did not realise that one could trivially back up such files... needless to say I do not have a backup.) A week of emails with pleasant, responsive but ultimately unhelpful support people has resulted in the knowledge that despite this file obviously existing somewhere on their servers, Garmin is unable to send (or sell) me a copy. They did allow that the file is the same for any 750 (i.e., not locked to a specific serial number) and so if I had a second such unit(!) I could simply copy the file from that.

So, my question: is there anyone who would be prepared to copy the file from their 750 and make it available to me (perhaps via Dropbox or similar)?

My apologies for the long post.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Missing Basemap on Oregon 750

Unread post by GPSrChive »

The part number for the current Worldwide Autoroute DEM Basemap (v6.00) is 006-F007-01.

A quick internet search turned up several links I would not trust, but the file I found at this link does match the map on my Oregon 750t exactly.

Or you can use the part number provided above to do your own searching.

Edit to add:

Download MD5: f23e55c710533cdc402d6d10bcf4b597

Garmin Map MD5: f23e55c710533cdc402d6d10bcf4b597
HCMP

Unread post by HCMP »

Many thanks. For my peace of mind, you wouldn't happen to have a checksum (md5) for the real file on your device would you?
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Updated my previous post with the requested information.

You're welcome!
HCMP

Unread post by HCMP »

Basemap is back and working fine! Many thanks again!
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Another satisfied customer!

:lol:

Return to “Oregon 7x0”