TopoActive Europe 2022.10 update

Discussion related to all Garmin Topo and TopoActive map products
JungleJim

TopoActive Europe 2022.10 update

Unread post by JungleJim »

Looks like Garmin (finally) released an update for the Europe TopoActive maps. New version is 2022.10, so it's still lagging behind the versions for the other continents but at least there's a new version for us to enjoy :D
Current: GPSMAP 67, Edge 1040, inReach Messenger - Previous: GPSMAP 66sr, Oregon 700, Dakota 20, Edge 1030 Plus, Edge 1030, Edge 520 Plus, Edge 520
Scenicsurfer

Re: TopoActive Europe 2022.10 update

Unread post by Scenicsurfer »

But watch out; the files are about 10GB. But GE demands 20GB free space on your c-drive!! Without this space available, GE will not install this update. May I call this; "ridiculous"
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Who doesn't have 20GB of free space on their primary HDD?
Nail

Unread post by Nail »

I disabled all TopoActives
I use
Spoiler
I cut out such a piece of the map as I need, I have more possibilities that TopoActive doesn't give
JungleJim

Unread post by JungleJim »

There indeed are a lot of good free alternatives available (my personal favourite being the countries from freizeitkarte-osm.de with outdoor design), but I thought it would interesting to share this news!
Current: GPSMAP 67, Edge 1040, inReach Messenger - Previous: GPSMAP 66sr, Oregon 700, Dakota 20, Edge 1030 Plus, Edge 1030, Edge 520 Plus, Edge 520
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Scenicsurfer wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:33 pm But watch out; the files are about 10GB. But GE demands 20GB free space on your c-drive!! Without this space available, GE will not install this update. May I call this; "ridiculous"
The reason 20GB free space is required to install a 10GB map update is because the GPSr has very limited memory available, and Garmin Express must have enough space to first download the map update, then move the existing map from your device memory to the host computer HDD before writing the new map file to the GPSr. This way, should there be any issues that prevent the map update from completing, your existing map can be copied back to the device to restore it to the condition it was in before the update began. Typically, once the map update is successful, the temporary copy of the previous map file is deleted from the host machine HDD.

Thank you Garmin software engineers for having the forethought to take the necessary precautions to prevent a situation where the user could end up without any usable maps on their device!
Scenicsurfer

Unread post by Scenicsurfer »

This answer took a little longer. But the problem remains. Garmin requires a fixed amount of memory to secure the installation process. Only this happens with established algorithms. For a download of 10 Gb, followed by a read/write process, 20 GB is not required. My c-drive is deliberately only used for OS related programs. However, Garmin Express makes it impossible for me to choose an alternative drive. So as good as the programmers may be, and the intent of the current process is clear to me, I want the choice to be able to install GE on another drive (including downloads) to avoid this annoying item.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Scenicsurfer wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:47 pm For a download of 10 Gb, followed by a read/write process, 20 GB is not required.
You can argue this until the cows come home, but this is what they require, and it will not change. Also, this is not a real issue. 20GB of space is a drop in the bucket in the age of 2TB HDD's and 1TB microSD cards.

Scenicsurfer wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:47 pm My c-drive is deliberately only used for OS related programs. However, Garmin Express makes it impossible for me to choose an alternative drive. So as good as the programmers may be, and the intent of the current process is clear to me, I want the choice to be able to install GE on another drive (including downloads) to avoid this annoying item.
Why not move the program directory after installation and edit the registry if needed to make it run from the location you desire?
Nail

Unread post by Nail »

Nail wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:32 pm I disabled all TopoActives
I use
Spoiler
I cut out such a piece of the map as I need, I have more possibilities that TopoActive doesn't give
I updated my Topo maps to the latest version. Even though I have them turned off, let them be current. I didn't follow the whole update. After an hour, I checked if I already had updated maps and saw in the Garmin Express window that there was an error. I reinstalled the update and now everything is fine.
Earlier I wrote that I use OpenStreetMap because TOPO Garmin maps in my area are deficient. After updating TOPO to version 2022.10, it turned out that the new maps are OSM.
This time I am satisfied. Although I will still use OSM clippings because they are smaller and probably burden the device less, unless I'm wrong. In addition, for TOPO maps to work, DEM Basemap must be enabled. It's an extra burden.
I'm glad I now have accurate maps that can be used at any time.

Return to “Garmin Topo Maps”