Bluetooth connection without Garmin connect!?

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66s/st GPSr

Bluetooth connection without Garmin connect!?

Unread post by 987 »

GPSMAP 66st sortware 4.20 gps firmware 2.80.
Hi.
I have sent this idea to Gramin, but would like to try it on a broader audience. Have your say.

The GPSMAP 66s,st has Bluetooth capability.
My suggestion is that the Bluetooth should be able to connect to other Bluetooth devices without using the Garmin Connect (connect, iq or explore) apps on smartphones and share some information over a general Bluetooth interface.
Examples:
Share current location with or without a short message, say: At 2020-08-17 15:15:30 i am here N/S nnnnnnn E/W nnnnnnn (format). Name.
That the phone would treat as a message or a file, if possible also to generate a SMS on a phone to a phone number, and ask the phone to send it. If possible to set it up to share the location like this one per X hours. say every 0,5-24 hours. It would also require very little battery.
It would be a closed system, not sharing the data to a third party service, but only with the one who is intended.

Such an example as above would give a (very) light version of inReach tracking or Livetracking but without requiring an inReach device and subscription, nor any connect app. In Europe the mobile networks are giving very good coverage in many of the popular recreational locations or where people travel (car, public transport, bicycle), even in areas which feel a bit off. Users would have to be aware that it would not be as safe as inReach, but it could make life easier for outdoors persons, the message would be sent when coverage is back in case it is poor.

Sharing pictures, waypoints, custom maps, routes, tracks and geocaches to/from any Bluetooth capable device could be very useful when sharing with somebody does not have a Garmin connect app.
bonstetten

Re: Bluetooth connection without Garmin connect!?

Unread post by bonstetten »

I support the idea and have already posted it similarly here. For example, I don't understand why a Garmin device with Bluetooth can't be used as an external GPS receiver for other apps on the SmartPhone (and thus could save power on the SmartPhone). I'm glad that I'm not the only one with such ideas, but my experience shows that we are the only ones listening here.
paulxtr

Unread post by paulxtr »

Agree with the above points. I would also like to see a Bluetooth serial/com port mode added so that location data can be shared with other devices via a fairly generic interface. I know this can currently be done via usb but it would be nice to dispense with the cable!

Unread post by 987 »

Another idea in which a generic bluetooth connection could be useful is to have proximity alarms with an option to send the information to somewhere.
This could also be done over ANT+ to inReach and via Bluetooth to a connect app.
Example: I am on a route and i want the device to send a message to someone when i arrive to a particular place for which i have a waypoint with a proximity alert. This will give somebody else a chance to see that i have arrived to some location. (without having the need to send the entire track).

Return to “GPSMAP 66s/st”