GPSMAP 66s freezes when scrolling on map [Crash 7]

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66s/st GPSr
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: GPSMAP 66s freezes when scrolling on map [Crash 7]

Unread post by GPSrChive »

OK, now if you can test with any other similar map to see if it still occurs, so we can determine if perhaps it is something to do with the map you are using....
IAmNotACat

Unread post by IAmNotACat »

gpsrchive wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:54 pm OK, now if you can test with any other similar map to see if it still occurs, so we can determine if perhaps it is something to do with the map you are using....
I tried downloading the map of Norway from frikart.no (Topo Summer), and using that I was not able to make the unit freeze while panning and zooming. The map is actually the same size (1.33GB) as the N50 maps from kartmannen.no that I use when the unit freezes, but still appears less detailed, especially in areas with lots of varying topography.

For fun, I tried installing a free trial map of a single township from kartmannen.no, which is a ridiculously small file. I used the town called Voss, and panning around that map it did not take long for the GPS unit to freeze up :?

So it does appear to have something to do with the maps I am using. Is there any way to validate the map file, or try to get some debug information from the GPS unit for further investigation? The maps from kartmannen.no are so much better than those at frikart.no that I would very much like to be able to use those.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Please post links to the maps you can confirm will crash the unit when panning.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

IAmNotACat wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:39 pm For fun, I tried installing a free trial map of a single township from kartmannen.no, which is a ridiculously small file. I used the town called Voss, and panning around that map it did not take long for the GPS unit to freeze up :?
Can you please email this map file to: webmaster@GPSrChive.com
IAmNotACat

gpsrchive wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:54 pm Can you please email this map file to: webmaster@GPSrChive.com
I have emailed you the file. Thanks for helping!
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Wow, those are some nice maps!

Verified and duplicated without any difficulty on my GPSMAP 66, but not on other Garmin GPSr I also tested with.

Posted to the GPSMAP 66 Common Issues page Crash #7.

Report sent to Garmin.
IAmNotACat

Thanks for testing and reproducing the issue. Fingers crossed that Garmin will come up with a fix.
asprin624

Unread post by asprin624 »

I downloaded the latest maps from openfietsmap.
Both Benelux and Germany last week.
Put them both on 2 4GB SD cards.
Went to Germany for some Geocaching.
The 66s froze 5 times when I used the D-pad.
With the full maps from openfietsmap it will show the route to take to the next Geocache.
You can download the full maps with out installing it first to the Laptop.
Removed the batteries and waited till the screen went blank and put the batteries back it.
Did not use the D-Pad the rest of the weekend.

Next when I got back to Belgium I put in the Benelux map to the 66s.
Same thing happened with this map, I picked a Geocache and started to go.
Again this full map showed the way to go via turn here then turn there.
The minute I used the D-Pad the screen froze.
Took the batteries out and replaced the 4GB SD card with the 2 GB card I had with me. (same map)
It did the same thing froze each time I used the D-Pad

When back home I tried something different.
Seeing that I had installed the maps on my laptop I opened up MapSource and made a new map.
Which I have always done in the past because I only picked the area I needed and compiled the map.

It was the first time I used the full untouched maps from openfietsmap which gave me problems.

The settings I used in Mapsource where:
Use Direct route
Pedestrian
compiled the map

I then put this map in the 2 GB SD card after I deleted the full map from the SD card.
Took it out for a test.
Picked a Geocache and told it to go.
The only difference was on the map it showed where the Geocache was in a direct line.

Then used the D-Pad to moved around the map and all work with no problems no freezing at all.

Do not know if auto routing does have a problem with 66 or not but it did cause problems for me.

I will stick to making my own compiled maps in Mapsource till this number 7 problem can be fixed by Garmin.

Note:
Used the same full map from the 66 in my old eTrex Legend HCx with no problems at all.
I always keep my old eTrex with me as a backup.

Maybe this can help Garmin in there trouble shooting of the freezing problem on the 66.
mpistora

Unread post by mpistora »

This year I also used OpenFietsMap.nl and everything worked well, including routing to tens of km distant cities, except for freezing when panning with D-PAD.
My hypothesis is that freezing occurs when you quickly repeat the actions for panning, or zooming with + -. If you proceed slowly and wait for the screen to redraw each time you press the button, the problem does not occur. The problem also does not occur when using the original Garmin map.
asprin624

Unread post by asprin624 »

@mpistora,

Well I pick a Geocache to go to and hit go.
We start the walk based on the routing it is telling me.
So we are talking may be a minute or so.
If I just touch the D-Pad if freezes with out have to move in any direction.
Then there are times it will work with no problems at all.
Can move all over the map and zoom in and out.
Then then next time I stop the Geocache and pick a new one.
The problem start over again.

Like I said I get around this problem by compiling my own maps from OpenFietsMap in MapSource and no more problems.

As for buying "Real Garmin" maps I am not going to spend 140 Euro each for 2 maps just to have "Real Garmin"
when OpenFietsMap maps work for me year in and year out on my other hand held units.

This problem needs to be fixed by Garmin without regards to what maps you use.
The D-Pad should work all the time and not have to remove the batteries.
There are lots of times it would be very hard to remove the batteries based on where I am when hiking.
The last thing I want to do is drop the batteries some place whee I can not get to them.
There is a problem with screen write and it seems to us all the memory up that is why it freezes.
The software needs to be debugged to see where the memory leak is and fix it.

Return to “GPSMAP 66s/st”