eTrex 20x Any Good?

Discussion related to the Garmin eTrex 22x, 32x GPSr
Backstreetbob

eTrex 20x Any Good?

Unread post by Backstreetbob »

I won an eTrex 20x (not an eTrex 22x) boxed with all the items in as new condition for £50, have I got a bargain is the 20x (not 22x) any good?

*** edited to correct model number ***

Re: eTrex 20x Any Good?

Unread post by 987 »

Hi.
Depends on what you compare with.

I have a 32x (which also has barometer, electronical compass and ant+ transfer).
Would miss these if i won a 22x? See below.

Mine is with topo active maps included, i often use other maps, but in essence experience is the same.

As for walking, hiking, biking, skiing, etrex x2x is my first choice (i also use a gpsmap 66st for longer hikes and sometimes car routing). Etrex x2x is small and light enough to put in pocket or take in hand even. Battery last around 20 hours for my usage (lithium in winter outdoor, nimh in summer).
Which means 2-3 normal days of usage.

For car routing, etrex x2x is not a good option, it is too slow and screen a bit small, topo active maps also does not support this. There is a bug for alarms that does bot understand km/h. All other routing works fine in essence.

I do not connect other wireless gadgets, so no need for ant+ in my case. The 22x does not have the electronical compasss, which means one has to be mowing for the device to show the compass based on the direction of travel, compass i would miss. Barometer for elevation i can do without, nice to have but not essential.

Accuracy is good, not as good as gpsmap 67 (some would argue), but still never put me off-track.

The USB is slow, if you plan to change maps frequently, use a micro SD-card. For sending/reading waypoints, track or routes, it does not cause any issue.

If i got an 22x not having any similar device, i would in fact enjoy it a lot.
Backstreetbob

It sounds good. I have a GPSMAP 67 but I only wanted the 20x as a cheap device to take abroad when I go to Portugal for walking around as I'm not as fussed if it goes missing or anything unlike my brand new 67.

I intend to add Talkytoaster maps to it so will probably delete the topo maps to save memory and speed the device up. I always delete the topo maps on all devices as I never use them. I used to have a 64s GPSMAP and the GPS and Glonass was always a good combo and pretty accurate I regret selling it as it was a nice device. I only use my devices for walking/hiking so driving doesn't appeal to me as I use my Garmin Drivesmart sat nav for driving.

I was aware the 20 didn't feature the barometer and compass but I'm not to fussed with them as like I say it's only for when i go abroad.

Unread post by 987 »

Just as a note, original post talks about 22x, later post about 20x. I dont know if there is any hardware difference. 22x has topoactive maps (i could see that were not so important to you).
Backstreetbob

Sorry my error, the device in question is 20x not 22x. Type o in the title. Should say 20x.

Sorry for any confusion.
skinnie

Unread post by skinnie »

Backstreetbob wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:49 am I won an eTrex 20x (not an eTrex 22x) boxed with all the items in as new condition for £50, have I got a bargain is the 20x (not 22x) any good?

*** edited to correct model number ***
I would say for that price is a nice device if you don't need the precision of the barometer. I had a 30x long time ago and enjoyed it.
I also won a Etrex 30 for around 35eur the other day, and just updated, got some up to date maps from here *** Improperly Formatted Hyperlink ***
and ready to go.
With the openfietsmaplite version, for biking I find it nice, and even auto routing works fine.
On your case, you will have a better resolution.
I kind enjoy using those devices, the joystick, the screen visibility, simplicity...but..on some things they are slow (like searching POIs. For that be sure to have less maps possible on device, even when disable they will search on them).
If you need jnx you can also installed *** Improperly Formatted Hyperlink ***firmwares

Return to “eTrex x2x”