Total Ascent Values Exaggerated by 50% [Bug 29]

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 67 series GPSr
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Total Ascent Values Exaggerated by 50% [Bug 29]

Unread post by GPSrChive »

JungleJim wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 5:35 pm Hardware version of my unit is 67 v4 on device software version 6.60.
So your device information screen displayed 'Version Info ... 67 V4', correct?

Mine is '67 V2' :shock:
JungleJim

Unread post by JungleJim »

GPSrChive wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 5:51 pm So your device information screen displayed 'Version Info ... 67 V4', correct?

Yes, definitively says “67 v4”! It’s a fairly new unit from August, a warranty exchange for my first 67 where the coating on the keys came off.
Spoiler
IMG_4816.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Current: GPSMAP 67, Edge 1040, inReach Messenger - Previous: GPSMAP 66sr, Oregon 700, Dakota 20, Edge 1030 Plus, Edge 1030, Edge 520 Plus, Edge 520
RickN55

Unread post by RickN55 »

JungleJim wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 5:35 pm
Hardware version of my unit is 67 v4 on device software version 6.60.
Mine was the same 67 v4. Wish I'd have known how to check my first 67 before I sent it back.

Wonder what the difference between v2 and v4 is? And why the change...

*** please review forum posting guidelines ***

*** formatting updated to comply with forum posting guidelines ***
incorrectly formated image
20231231_181902.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GPSMAP 67, GPSMAP 65s (sold), GPSMAP 64s (sold), GPSMAP 62s, GPSMAP 60CSx, Edge 1040, Fenix 6x Pro (sold), Epix Gen2 Pro Sapphire 51mm.
RickN55

Unread post by RickN55 »

GPSrChive wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 5:51 pm
JungleJim wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 5:35 pm Hardware version of my unit is 67 v4 on device software version 6.60.
So your device information screen displayed 'Version Info ... 67 V4', correct?

Is your 67 v2 software 6.60?
GPSMAP 67, GPSMAP 65s (sold), GPSMAP 64s (sold), GPSMAP 62s, GPSMAP 60CSx, Edge 1040, Fenix 6x Pro (sold), Epix Gen2 Pro Sapphire 51mm.
dhg

Unread post by dhg »

Hi, just wondered if anyone had any further news on this? Has Garmin found a bug? Also how do I tell the v2 / v4 etc hardware version? I can access the 'About' menu but that only quotes the software version as 6.60.
JungleJim

Unread post by JungleJim »

Ok so I may have a theory on what could be causing this issue.

Based on my testing it seems that the total ascent value can also change when the unit is not recording an activity. When saving an activity, the unit writes the current value of the Total Ascent data field into the FIT/GPX file (for those who are familiar: Session message in FIT or TrackStatsExtension in GPX).

Because at the start of the activity the Total Ascent was not zero, the saved Total Ascent value does not match the value that can be calculated from the saved track points: it is equal to the value of Total Ascent at the start of the activity plus the Total Ascent during the activity.

So one way to work around this would be to reset the Trip data before starting an activity (via Trip Computer, Menu > Reset Trip Data).

I'll do some tests this weekend, but I was wondering if others can check and verify whether this may be indeed the cause?
Current: GPSMAP 67, Edge 1040, inReach Messenger - Previous: GPSMAP 66sr, Oregon 700, Dakota 20, Edge 1030 Plus, Edge 1030, Edge 520 Plus, Edge 520
Przekątny

Unread post by Przekątny »

User dhg drew attention to the inflated values of ascents and declines presented in the track statistics; the incorrect presentation does not only concern ascents and descents.
The data contained in the TrackStatsExtension sequence have priority for display in the device as well as in Base Camp, the data is not presented based on the conversion of the recorded data.
The incorrect presentation also concerns the maximum speed (60 km/h and it should be 11 km/h), average movement speed, average speed, movement time, parking time, as well as distance.
The parameter values in the track statistics do not differ as much as the values of the ascents and descents. , maybe that's why the user didn't pay attention to the existing discrepancies.
dhg

Unread post by dhg »

Hi, thanks for your help. I used to always reset trip data at the start of every use although thinking about it I've recently reset at the end of a trip after saving the GPX file to device. When use the device say a week later the fields are still all zeroed so I've not been resetting again. I'll try explicitly resetting at the start of a trip, but even if that fixes it this would still be a bug because the trip computer is showing zero ascent/descent at the stat on the trip computer screen.

Could you also comment on how to show if the hardware is v2 or v4? I can see the About screen which shows 6.60 as the firmware version, but I can't see anything about v2 / v4 as per the discussion recently.

Many thanks.

Don.
dhg

Unread post by dhg »

Please note I've found out how to get the device version (power on and press and hold enter). I'm 67 r4.
dhg

Unread post by dhg »

Przekątny wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 10:23 am User dhg drew attention to the inflated values of ascents and declines presented in the track statistics; the incorrect presentation does not only concern ascents and descents.
The data contained in the TrackStatsExtension sequence have priority for display in the device as well as in Base Camp, the data is not presented based on the conversion of the recorded data.
The incorrect presentation also concerns the maximum speed (60 km/h and it should be 11 km/h), average movement speed, average speed, movement time, parking time, as well as distance.
The parameter values in the track statistics do not differ as much as the values of the ascents and descents. , maybe that's why the user didn't pay attention to the existing discrepancies.
It's just I don't really use things like max speed although I've not noticed a major discrepency there or in distance. I find that distance is always about 5% more than the planned distance but I put that down to the reality of the twists and tuns in real life between planned points in a route being slightly longer than the straight lines in the route.

Return to “GPSMAP 67”