Battery connector broken

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66s/st GPSr

Battery connector broken

Unread post by 987 »

Hi.
Has anyone had the hardware failure that the metal battery connector for one of the batteries has broken off on the GPSMAP 66s/st?
Mine (bottom right, +) just wore out and broke. Batteries can still be used, but every time i remove a battery it gets stuck or injured.

The unit is from 2019, i change battery on average 3 times per week, should not wear out this soon i hope.
I have contacted Garmin to see if i can have it corrected, just wondering hos normal this is.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Battery connector broken

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Please post some quality photos.

Unread post by 987 »

Spoiler
broken_battery_connector_66st.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

This is the first time I have heard of this type failure on the GPSMAP 66 series, and can not remember the last time it was reported for any other model, so certainly not a 'normal failure'.

I am curios exactly which brand/model batteries you are repeatedly inserting and removing from the device?

Please let us know what response Garmin provides.

Unread post by 987 »

In general i use Varta Ni-Mh 2600 mAh and eneloop pro.
Size (length, diametre) seems identical.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Batteries are always removed by hand, never with a tool?

Unread post by 987 »

GPSrChive wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 4:25 pm Batteries are always removed by hand, never with a tool?
yes by hand. normally when the metal clip is not injured the batteries slides out very easily
asprin624

Unread post by asprin624 »

Why are you charging your batteries that many time per week?

I can go days of heavy use and still have lots of power left in my batteries even if I let it sit for weeks without using the 66.
There is always a spare set I keep with me if I need them.
As of yet there was only one time I had to switch batteries.

You no that charging batteries to many times does reduce it's life cycle.
Battery life cycle count is the number of times a battery can be depleted and recharged before its full capacity begins to degrade1. This number depends on the type of battery and how it’s used1. Generally, lithium-based battery cells have a cycle count of 400 to 500 times. Some batteries may have a higher cycle count if they are kept at least 50 to 90 percent charged.
I am still using the same batteries from 2019 and they are still going strong.
Removing your batteries that many times per week will only lead to problems with the connectors on the 66 or any GPS unit.

That goes for any items that run on replaceable batteries.
Taking them out and putting them will only cause problems.

You can always charge the 66 with the batteries in the unit if you have the adapter.

Unread post by 987 »

I believe i am using the unit the intended way.
66s/st uses replaceable batteries, it does not have a fixed battery.
It can use one-time batteries (alkaline, lithium) or rechargeable (ni-mh).
Garmin does not mention to avoid changing batteries, nor do they include an adapter to press the button enabling charging.

I can't really see that i do anything wrongly.

My daily usage usually goes 4-10 hours, given a normal 15-17 hours runtime per pair of ni-mh batteries, a change every other day is normal.
LostAgain

Unread post by LostAgain »

asprin624 wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:59 am ......Removing your batteries that many times per week will only lead to problems with the connectors on the 66 or any GPS unit.

That goes for any items that run on replaceable batteries.
Taking them out and putting them will only cause problems.
I've been removing and replacing batteries in many different devices including GPS's for many years, mostly without issue, as have quite a few other people I know.
The very few times I've had issues it's been faulty devices, similar to 987's problem.

Return to “GPSMAP 66s/st”