mallocs?

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 67 series GPSr
montschok

mallocs?

Unread post by montschok »

I have a Garmin GPSMAP 67i updated to 5.30.

If its's fairly recently restarted and I go to Trip Computer and press up, right, down, left and then select diagnostics I notice that the mallocs increase by more than 1000 every time it's updated.

After a few hours it's replaced with a bunch of ______ (or maybe -------). Not sure if this means that the number is too big to be displayed or if something else is going on.

To me, this is an indication of a possible memory leak... but perhaps it's normal? I haven't been able to find any information about this, but perhaps someone here knows.

(Disabling wifi, bluetooth and any active tracking does not seem to affect this.)
montschok

Re: mallocs?

This has been "fixed" in v5.90. The debug menu or whatever it's called is no longer available from Trip Computer.
JungleJim

Unread post by JungleJim »

Oh that's a shame, I already updated and am always interested in these kind of hidden features :)

But as to your original observation, if the mallocs are matched by an equal number of memory free-ups, an increased malloc count shouldn't really be an issue!
Current: GPSMAP 67, Edge 1040, inReach Messenger - Previous: GPSMAP 66sr, Oregon 700, Dakota 20, Edge 1030 Plus, Edge 1030, Edge 520 Plus, Edge 520
montschok

JungleJim wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 6:05 pm Oh that's a shame, I already updated and am always interested in these kind of hidden features :)

But as to your original observation, if the mallocs are matched by an equal number of memory free-ups, an increased malloc count shouldn't really be an issue!
mallocs was the only thing that was increasing as far as I could tell.

Edit : There was no free counter. So it depends on what it's counting. Total in use or total overall.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

montschok wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 5:56 pm This has been "fixed" in v5.90. The debug menu or whatever it's called is no longer available from Trip Computer.
Still there on my GPSMAP 67 with 5.90 loaded.

:?
montschok

This is what it looks like to me. (Filmed yesterday. Had some issues transferring the data to the computer - turned out to be the USB cable.)
Video: Garmin GPSMAP 67i v5.90 2023-08-10 Trip Computer
Garmin GPSMAP 67i Trip Computer.mp4
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Hard to see for sure in the video, but do you have any additional Trip Computer pages configured?

What buttons were pressed between the time you opened the Trip Computer page and started recording video?
montschok

GPSrChive wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 5:01 pm Hard to see for sure in the video, but do you have any additional Trip Computer pages configured?
I can see different amount of information by pressing + and - if that's what you mean? I just retested at all "information levels" and ended up with the same results.
GPSrChive wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 5:01 pm What buttons were pressed between the time you opened the Trip Computer page and started recording video?
None.

(I actually started the recording before starting Trip Computer, but apparently there was like a 1s delay or so before it actually started.)
GPSrChive
Site Admin

The Trip Computer can be configured to display as many as 10 pages. You must be on the last page.
montschok

GPSrChive wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 6:57 pm The Trip Computer can be configured to display as many as 10 pages. You must be on the last page.
Are you referring to the "Insert Page" function? I was not aware of that until I was playing around with that just now, so I had not added any pages.

I tried adding a page and doing this from both of them. No change.

Return to “GPSMAP 67”