Most accurate track settings

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 67 series GPSr
RickN55

Most accurate track settings

Unread post by RickN55 »

What track settings do you all find most accurate on the 67? Is Auto Start and Auto pause worth it? I found Auto Pause on my Fenix 6 was a little slow to pick up when I'd set off from being stationary thus losing track distance.

Also what does it mean with trip recording during activity or always? With during activity will it only leave the breadcrum trail if I press start on the trip screen?

Also what why do some of the satellites flash on the satellite screen? Especially some of the Beidou ones?
GPSMAP 67, GPSMAP 65s (sold), GPSMAP 64s (sold), GPSMAP 62s, GPSMAP 60CSx, Edge 1040, Fenix 6x Pro (sold), Epix Gen2 Pro Sapphire 51mm.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Most accurate track settings

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Most of your questions are already answered at GPSrChive > GPSMAP 67.

Tracking at one second intervals will provide the most detailed results.

I do not use auto start or auto pause on my devices.
JungleJim

Unread post by JungleJim »

RickN55 wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 1:24 pm What track settings do you all find most accurate on the 67? Is Auto Start and Auto pause worth it? I found Auto Pause on my Fenix 6 was a little slow to pick up when I'd set off from being stationary thus losing track distance.
I have tracking interval set to 1 second for hiking activities.

Auto Start and Auto Pause I keep off, when I'm hiking I manually start the activity and keep it running, only when taking a longer break I pause the activity. For cycling on my Edge 1040 I usually keep Auto Pause to on, and that works well enough due to the speed difference.
RickN55 wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 1:24 pm Also what does it mean with trip recording during activity or always? With during activity will it only leave the breadcrum trail if I press start on the trip screen?
It determines whether to record data for the Trip Computer page. I have set it to During Activity because I always start my activity manually and am only interested in data for the individual hikes (or other activities). But if you just want to have the device record everything you do without needing to think about it then Trip Recording on Always and Auto Start would be more easy.
RickN55 wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 1:24 pm Also what why do some of the satellites flash on the satellite screen? Especially some of the Beidou ones?
When the satellite number blinks the so called ephemeris data is downloaded, which contains data on accuracy, clock corrections and position for that specific satellite. This is needed for calculating the position. And possibly also the almanac data, which contains less accurate data used to speed up time to first fix. But usually this is not needed I think because of the CPE data that the GPSMAP downloads via WiFi, Garmin Connect or Garmin Express.
Current: GPSMAP 67, Edge 1040, inReach Messenger - Previous: GPSMAP 66sr, Oregon 700, Dakota 20, Edge 1030 Plus, Edge 1030, Edge 520 Plus, Edge 520
MarkHL

Unread post by MarkHL »

I have two hike "profiles", one set at "most often" - auto interval and the other 1-second. It depends on the terrain as to which one I choose and I sometimes will switch back and forth between them. Switching profiles is a lot easier than changing the track recording setting on the fly.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

JungleJim wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 6:13 pm
RickN55 wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 1:24 pm Also what does it mean with trip recording during activity or always? With during activity will it only leave the breadcrum trail if I press start on the trip screen?
It determines whether to record data for the Trip Computer page. I have set it to During Activity because I always start my activity manually and am only interested in data for the individual hikes (or other activities). But if you just want to have the device record everything you do without needing to think about it then Trip Recording on Always and Auto Start would be more easy.
This option locks the Trip Computer data collection to the Activity Recording status to prevent having trip computer data that is substantially different than the recorded activity data.

See: GPSrChive > GPSMAP 67 > Setup > Recording > Trip Recording

Also, see: GPSrChive > GPSMAP 67 > Pages > Trip Computer > Tip: Why do the Trip Computer Odometer and Track Log Distance not agree?
GPSrChive
Site Admin

MarkHL wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:27 pm I have two hike "profiles", one set at "most often" - auto interval and the other 1-second. It depends on the terrain as to which one I choose and I sometimes will switch back and forth between them. Switching profiles is a lot easier than changing the track recording setting on the fly.
Have to love the power of profiles!

I also use several very similar profiles: One for Hiking, one for Geocaching, another for Benchmarking, etc.
mimichris

Unread post by mimichris »

No auto start, I manage my start, 1 second between each track point, the most accurate, follows the GPS data which is 1 second.
GPSMAP66sr, GPSMAP67, GPSII+, Twonav Cross.

Return to “GPSMAP 67”