GPSMAP 66sr Firmware 6.10

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66sr GPSr
vsa

GPSMAP 66sr Firmware 6.10

Unread post by vsa »

GPSMAP 66sr Firmware Update 6.10 released 07JUL23:

Changes made from version 5.70 to 6.10:
  • Added option to turn on/off course alerts (Setup > Routing).
  • Improved GPS performance in some situations.
  • Fixed an issue where users were unable to cancel a prompted master reset.
  • Fixed a possible shutdown when exiting expedition mode.
This update is being released in stages via Garmin Express, and should be available to everyone soon.

Please report your observations here!

Info
Firmware 6.10
GPS 2.00.13
CIQ 3.1.9
---
Magellan SporTrak, eTrex Legend C, eTrex Vista HCx, Oregon 300, GPSMAP 62s, 66sr, 67i.
mimichris

Re: GPSMAP 66sr Firmware 6.10

Unread post by mimichris »

Thank you for the information, updated, I was afraid when restarting it is impossible to find the French in English, after stopping and restarting it did find the French.
GPSMAP66sr, GPSMAP67, GPSII+, Twonav Cross.
ljnjtrails

Unread post by ljnjtrails »

My GPSMAP 66sr downloaded firmware v6.10 over its Wi-Fi this morning, and then told me it was ready for upgrade. This has never worked before. But I changed ISPs since the last firmware upgrade, and I'm going to blame my former poor Internet connection for it never working before.

Everything seems OK so far. I'll be outside using it tomorrow and will see.

My Wi-Fi on/off switch still does not work. It is stuck off, just as described in Bug 57: "The [Setup > Wi-Fi] page may be totally unresponsive to user input following Crash 5". The only way I can get Wi-Fi on is to use Garmin Explore on my cell, "Add Wi-Fi network" and then cancel. Then it works - but only until the GPSMAP is turned off and back on.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Why do you cancel adding the Wi-Fi network? Complete the process.
ljnjtrails

Unread post by ljnjtrails »

GPSrChive wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 2:11 am Why do you cancel adding the Wi-Fi network? Complete the process.
I probably didn't explain it well. On the GPSMAP 66sr, Setup, Wi-Fi, shows the on/off switch in the off position. Pressing Enter to try to turn it on has no effect. It is stuck off.

With Bluetooth on, both GPSMAP and cell, start Garmin Explore on my Cell, switch to Devices and wait (if necessary) for a green dot saying they are connected. Select the GPSMAP. Tap Wi-Fi Networks. It says: "You currently have no Wi-Fi networks saved to your device" (which is untrue). Tap Add a Network.

Now go back to the GPSMAP and press Enter on the Wi-Fi page: and it works. Wi-Fi turns on, saved network is shown, and it automatically connects.

Somehow, just tapping "Add a network" in Explore on the cell un-sticks Wi-Fi on the GPSMAP. So I don't complete the process because there is nothing to do - the saved network is already there.

But the next time the GPSMAP turns on, Wi-Fi is again stuck off.

Now, I've been told that I have to remove the network from the GPSMAP and then add it with (a) Garmin Explore, or (b) Garmin Connect, or (c) Garmin Express on a Windows PC, and that will fix the problem. I've tried it with Explore, and I even loaded Connect and tried that. Same result - it works, until next restart, then it is stuck off. (I haven't tried Express because it doesn't run on anything I own.)

It isn't really a big deal, since I don't use the GPSMAP Wi-Fi for much, but at some point I'll probably ask Garmin for help.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

May need to consider a master reset unless you can find a machine that will allow you to set Wi-Fi up with Express first...
Matt16598

Unread post by Matt16598 »

On Firmware 6.10, the CPE file still won't update via Garmin Express on my Mac (it's never updated for me with any firmware version). It will update over WiFi, once Garmin Connect has been set up on the device using Express. For the record, the update did/does work on my 66i and 67i, and I have tried removing and reinstalling the device on Express. I'm going to mention this on the Bug 65 discussion.

Luvvinbird mentioned this issue on the 5.70 thread:

*** edited to conform with forum posting guidelines ***
Spoiler

Return to “GPSMAP 66sr”