Slow File Transfer

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 64 series GPSr
dbsoccer

Slow File Transfer

Unread post by dbsoccer »

The time it takes for me to download a .gpx file from my desktop to my 64s is painful. The computer is not new but new enough and I'm using a "fast" USB port on my computer. Any ideas what could be causing the slow transfers?

Thanks.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Slow File Transfer

Unread post by GPSrChive »

How long is 'slow' to you?

What size is the GPX file you are transferring to the GPSMAP 64s?

What is the source of the GPX file?

Are you moving it to internal memory or an installed microSD card?
dbsoccer

I am transferring a 5MB file. It is going into internal memory. In doing a review of what currently in memory I found a about 1.1GB of image files. I will remove them and see if this improves things. These are contours maps for several states. I follow-up with what happens.

How long is slow?? Several minutes. I didn't time it. But the perceived transfer rate seems to be much slower than when I have transferred large files between other applications and a storage source. Of course, internal vs external are different, etc, etc.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Several minutes would be crazy slow.

Please send a copy of the offending GPX file so I can test it on my GPSMAP 64.
address
You can also test with:

1. A different USB port
2. A different USB cable
3. A different computer
dbsoccer

just sent. Fort Collins file. No subject. Thanks

I was thinking there is a trash folder on the Garmin that needs to be purged periodically. Or maybe a SW update.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Are you using a Mac?

If "Yes", you do need to empty the trash bin every time you delete something from your connected Garmin device or it will collect in a hidden directory, using up valuable space....
GPSrChive
Site Admin

FYI - We were able to transfer the GPX file you sent to our GPSMAP 64s in about 2 seconds time.

Please perform the additional tests listed in our post above and report your findings!
dbsoccer

I changed ports and cables but all on the same computer. Finding another computer may prove to be difficult but I'll look. I will explore reasons why my USB ports may be acting slowly. Not only is the file transfer rate slow, the time it takes for the computer to acknowledge I've connected it to a USB port is slow. I've turned off security scanning to see if that is causing issues. I need to look at that more closely. And I need to experiment with other USB devices to see if they are also slow in being recognized.

I keep you informed. Thanks for your help.
dbsoccer

What a difference a day makes. :)

In addition to changing cables, etc yesterday I loaded Garmin Express and updated the software. Not sure if this was the cause of any problems but today the computer recognizes I've attached the gps to a USB port and the download time of the .gpx may be even faster than two seconds. What I also noticed, as I deleted and re-downloaded the same file several times, the time to delete the file off the gps is instantaneous at I'd expect. Yesterday it took seemingly forever just to delete a .gpx file.

So things are good. Problem solved. Not sure what the solution was but for now I'm not going to worry about it.

Thanks.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Good to hear!

Do you recall what the software version was prior to the update?

Return to “GPSMAP 64”