Trip odometer in Expedition mode

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66 series GPSr
rogerm

Trip odometer in Expedition mode

Post by rogerm » Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:50 pm

Whenever I turn on expedition mode, the trip odometer is dramatically wrong. As an example, after a 2 1/2 hour walk, I apparently traveled 59143km and had a total ascent of 9842m.

I've looked at the tracks and they appear reasonable so while I'm sure expedition mode is less accurate, it could a least get a good approximation.

This occurs on the latest firmware (2.50) as well as the previous.

I was interested to find nobody else appears to have mentioned this though it's hard to believe it can be just my unit and it's not hard to miss.

gpsrchive
Site Admin

Re: Trip odometer in Expedition mode

Post by gpsrchive » Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:08 pm

I found many issues with the Expedition Mode function when the unit was new, and have yet to revisit them, so thank you for the reminder!

As this is a completely new feature, I will not be too harsh while they get it figured out 8^)

oldcrashtestdummy

Post by oldcrashtestdummy » Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:46 pm

rogerm wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:50 pm
Whenever I turn on expedition mode, the trip odometer is dramatically wrong. As an example, after a 2 1/2 hour walk, I apparently traveled 59143km and had a total ascent of 9842m.

I've looked at the tracks and they appear reasonable so while I'm sure expedition mode is less accurate, it could a least get a good approximation.

This occurs on the latest firmware (2.50) as well as the previous.

I was interested to find nobody else appears to have mentioned this though it's hard to believe it can be just my unit and it's not hard to miss.
You need to stop walking so fast. :D

Spiney

Post by Spiney » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:20 am

gpsrchive wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:08 pm
I found many issues with the Expedition Mode function when the unit was new, and have yet to revisit them 8^)
Have you found time to re-visit these many issues with using the Expedition Mode? What were the issues you identified and are they still of concern?

gpsrchive
Site Admin

Post by gpsrchive » Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:06 pm

Spiney wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:20 am
gpsrchive wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:08 pm
I found many issues with the Expedition Mode function when the unit was new, and have yet to revisit them 8^)
Have you found time to re-visit these many issues with using the Expedition Mode? What were the issues you identified and are they still of concern?
I am waiting for them to make an improvement to that feature before I do any serious testing. The most recent update did nothing to address Expedition Mode, so no more testing yet!

Spiney

Post by Spiney » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:12 pm

Fair enough, but I would still be interested to hear about the issues that you have identified so far as there seems to be little about this mode elsewhere.