Wrong moving average under Recording controls.

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66s/st GPSr

Wrong moving average under Recording controls.

Unread post by 987 »

GPSMAP 66st with firmware 6.00 (GPS 2.80).

Hi.
I might have found a bug or issue. Recently i was travelling about 500 km. The complete journey including stops took about 10 hours.
After arrival i went to the Recodring control and saved the activity (activity and track was saved) but i did not reset.
Being at the arrival location, i left the unit on for some hour. Later i checked the Moving average in the Recording control; it showed a very low moving average, 2 km/h over the 11 hours. That is certainly not correct since it would mean a total travel distance of 22 km.

At this point i checked the Recorded activities (saved tracks has no moving average), sure enough this shows a moving average of 65 km/h, which i find probable.

Hence i think that the moving average in the Recording controls starts from scratch after a save, even if no reset is made.

(in case this post duplicates some earlier one, please move or remove this topic).
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Wrong moving average under Recording controls.

Unread post by GPSrChive »

I have been trying to duplicate this behavior all morning, and have not been successful. Every time I stop, save and do not reset a tracklog recording, the 'Moving Average' field remains the same in the Recording Controls page. Never have I observed this value reset to zero after not resetting or clearing the current tracklog recording.

Hopefully you can continue to test and find the specific steps required to duplicate this behavior so we can confirm.

Unread post by 987 »

Even i find it very strange, i will keep observing and post in some time again. For now in case no one else sees this, let's hope it was a one off on my device.

Unread post by 987 »

I think i know what i did.
First i went to Recording controls and saved the activity but made no reset.
Some time later, i was on the trip computer page and selected MENU -> Reset and Reset trip data.
This in fact resets the moving average.

Best would be if the recording controls and the trip data was separated, but all right, problem explained i imagine.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

That would explain it!

Thank you for the update!

Return to “GPSMAP 66s/st”