Loading waypoints, etc. related to power source [Bug 53]

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66s/st GPSr
ivhs72

Loading waypoints, etc. related to power source [Bug 53]

Unread post by ivhs72 »

I've noticed something happening with my 66s that is somewhat interesting. After I update/reload my pocket queries via the copy/paste method from my computer, I unplug it and it powers down. I then plug it into an A/C source to power it up, and it boots to the main display. It goes right past the Loading Waypoints, Tracks, etc. screen. I can go to the Geocaching section, see the caches, but when I select them, they are empty, and the unit freezes. I have to pull the batteries to turn it off. But if I start the device on battery power (not plugged in) it does stop on the Loading Waypoints, Tracks, etc. and stays there. The last time I did that, after about 1-2 hours, it did finally update the caches. I wonder if there is something going on in the background related to what the device is powered on?
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Loading waypoints, etc. related to power source [Bug 53]

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Firmware Version?
ivhs72

Unread post by ivhs72 »

gpsrchive wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:06 amFirmware Version?
Happened with 2.80, also with 3.00 (but I've only tried it once so far)
GPSrChive
Site Admin

ivhs72 wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 4:43 pm
gpsrchive wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:06 amFirmware Version?
Happened with 2.80, also with 3.00 (but I've only tried it once so far)
Thank you, I'm going to do some testing this week!
ivhs72

Unread post by ivhs72 »

I tried it this morning, after updating my PQs. I'm able to duplicate it with some regularity. Right now it's plugged into external power, and has been for just over 2 hours. Nothing is happening with the progress bar. I'm off in another 4 hours, and if it hasn't done anything then I'll unplug it and take it home, and start all over again.
searchjaunt

Unread post by searchjaunt »

As said in the other thread, I'm wondering why a (large?) GGZ lets the 66 hang on the loading waypoints screen whereas this is no issue on the 64. I don't see anything mentioned about this on the common issues about this device on this site.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

searchjaunt wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 6:42 am As said in the other thread, I'm wondering why a (large?) GGZ lets the 66 hang on the loading waypoints screen whereas this is no issue on the 64. I don't see anything mentioned about this on the common issues about this device on this site.
We still have to do some testing before we can add it to the list!
ivhs72

Unread post by ivhs72 »

gpsrchive wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 1:34 pm
searchjaunt wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 6:42 am As said in the other thread, I'm wondering why a (large?) GGZ lets the 66 hang on the loading waypoints screen whereas this is no issue on the 64. I don't see anything mentioned about this on the common issues about this device on this site.
We still have to do some testing before we can add it to the list!
I'm not loading any GGZ files. The GGZ folder in my 66s is empty.
ivhs72

Unread post by ivhs72 »

It took almost 6 hours to update my loading waypoints, etc. screen. I know I have a lot of PQs, but have the same amount on my 64s, and it loads in about 10-12 minutes. I also had it on battery power for a couple of hours then plugged in external power so the batteries wouldn't run down. I think there's some issue that Garmin needs to look at here.....
searchjaunt

Unread post by searchjaunt »

ivhs72 wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 6:35 pm I'm not loading any GGZ files. The GGZ folder in my 66s is empty.
Wouldn't it be interesting to know if GGZ has the same issues as PQs GPXs? After all, GGZ is, afaik, specially designed to replace a huge amount of GPXs, no?

Return to “GPSMAP 66s/st”