Stuck Gecocaches in Recent Finds

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66s/st GPSr
Witmen

Stuck Gecocaches in Recent Finds

Unread post by Witmen »

For whatever reason, I've got 3 Geocaches that will not stop showing up in my recent finds of the geocache app. All 3 were found nearly 2 years ago, I've found many other since I found those and all of my other recent finds clear like normal.

I don't know how they got stuck there, but they even survived me doing a factory data reset after I was forced to downgrade firmware recently. I've checked, the geocaches are not in the gsak database I have loaded. They're not saved as a waypoint either. They show up on my maps as a found/open geocache and all of the data for the caches is contained. I've also removed Geocache live access to the devices.

I've tried everything I can think of and would really appreciate any ideas.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Stuck Gecocaches in Recent Finds

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Are you absolutely certain they are not contained in an existing GPX/GGZ or POI file on the GPSMAP 66 or microSD card?

Do they appear in the calendar page? Do any other geocache finds appear in the calendar page?
Witmen

Unread post by Witmen »

I just removed my SD card, plugged the Garmin into my PC and backed up and then deleted every single gpx, ggz and poi files from the unit. I rebooted it, it has no waypoints on it, but it still shows the same 3 geocaches as found and they're still appearing on the map.

I do not see anything in the calendar page at all, but I'm not really certain how to search it.
Witmen

Unread post by Witmen »

What's really strange is I've never put geocaches in the internal storage of this Garmin. I've had the 62, 64, multiple Oregons and a Montana before getting the 66s. I learned to keep geocaches on the SD card back when I was still on the 62.

It's strange. I almost wonder if they some how became part of the basemap. Maybe through Garmin basecamp. Is that a possibility?
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Rename:

Garmin/geocache_visits.txt to Garmin/geocache_visits.txt.ign

and

Garmin/geocache_logs.xml to Garmin/geocache_logs.xml.ign

Then reboot and retest.
Witmen

Unread post by Witmen »

I've deleted both of those files. Should I create them and rename?
GPSrChive
Site Admin

No, just wanted to be sure they were not the source....

Try renaming:

Garmin/SQL/ to Garmin/SQL-Skip/

This will force the device to rebuild the internal database on the next boot sequence.

Return to “GPSMAP 66s/st”