GPSMAP 66st + HRM Dual = No calories

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66s/st GPSr
SFP

GPSMAP 66st + HRM Dual = No calories

Unread post by SFP »

I'm running 4.20 firmware on my GPSMAP 66st. For yet unknown reason the device has never calculated the calories when I use the HRM Dual heartbelt.

What are the symptoms:
- Calories stay zero in trip computer screen. Sometimes very very rarely there might be like 1 or 4 calories
- The total calories is now shown in Garmin Connect neither

What I've done:
- Removed and re-paired the HRM Dual
- Raised an issue through our local Garmin support

Calories are counted if I don't use the heartbelt. Seems that activity type doesn't have any affect. The heartrate is logged correctly to GPX-files.

Anyone else have the problem? Garmin support initial answer that this issues has been fixed in firmware 3.1
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: GPSMAP 66st + HRM Dual = No calories

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Is the HRM Dual paired to your GPSMAP 66 via ANT+ or BlueTooth?
SFP

Unread post by SFP »

During the first pairing I didn't take note on that. Second time I intentionally switched the bluetooth off on Garmin. I also made sure that my iphone didn't make connection to the belt.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

OK, sounds like you were paired via ANT+ then.

A new GPSMAP 66s/st firmware will likely be released soon to resolve some issue with the last two releases... Can you retest again with that version and let us know what the result is?
SFP

Unread post by SFP »

I will test and I will let you know if I (ever) get response from official support.

Maybe I should have gone to Edge 1030 with my bicycle.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

If bicycling is your primary use, you will find much more functionality with the Edge series - but they also lack some of the basic features and functions from the GPSMAP series.

It is very much a 'per user' decision.
SFP

Unread post by SFP »

I had GPSMAP 64st and 66st is also supposed to act as multipurpose. I'm happy but lack of some basic functionality is not so desirable.
AndyJ

Unread post by AndyJ »

Did you find any solution to the issue? I was thinking of purchasing the HRM since I use my GPSMAP for a multitude of activities (hiking, biking, etc.), but if calories aren't tracked properly, then I won't. I was also pretty disappointed after purchasing the speed sensor to find that with the GPSMAP, the speed sensor data is not used to more accurately calculate distance traveled, as it is with the cycling focused models.
SFP

Unread post by SFP »

Not yet. It seems to be software problem in GPSMAP 66ST. I have still open case ongoing with Garmin.
SFP

Unread post by SFP »

I think I'll have to make a test after I change the belt from HRM-Dual to HRM-Pro. I'm a bit skeptical that this has any effect on this.

Return to “GPSMAP 66s/st”