Slow response when including child waypoints in GPX

Discussion related to the Garmin Montana 7x0 series GPSr
Catch

Slow response when including child waypoints in GPX

Unread post by Catch »

In addition to the very long startup time after loading a new GPX file, as discussed in another thread, I notice that when including child waypoints in the GPX file, the Montana 700 gets very slow when accessing menus, e.g. the Geocaching Dashboard. My standard GPX file contains about 22K geocaches and 11K child waypoint (122 MB). If I choose not to include the child waypoints, the Montana 700 behaves normal. I have not tested with a smaller GPX file, but I guess the slow behavior may have to do with the size of the GPX file. However, I have tested with the same file on both Oregon 700 and Monterra, and both looks to have normal response.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Slow response when including child waypoints in GPX

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Firmware Version?
Catch

Unread post by Catch »

Firmware 5.30
Catch

Unread post by Catch »

I have tested some more with reduced number of geocaches and child waypoints in the GPX file. The sum of geocaches and child waypoints in the new test is apx 22K so that I can compare with a GPX file with 22K geocaches and no child waypoints.
The Montana 700 response is still slow, but not as slow as with my standard GPX file (22K geocaches + 11K childs)
Btw, I noticed that I had a typo in my first post. The GPX file size was 122 MB, not 12,2 MB
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Catch wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:38 am The Montana 700 response is still slow, but not as slow as with my standard GPX file (22K geocaches + 11K childs)
That number of child waypoints already exceeds the device waypoint limit by 1K. It will not be indexing all of them, and that may be part of the long load time issue you are experiencing.

If you are going to load this many child waypoints, you may want to consider loading them as POI instead (no limit).
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Catch wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:38 am Btw, I noticed that I had a typo in my first post. The GPX file size was 122 MB, not 12,2 MB
I have edited the first post based on the information you provided.
Catch

Unread post by Catch »

I have done some more tests the last few days, including child waypoints in the GPX file, and even with a number of child waypoints well within the limit of 10K, the Montana 7x0 response in noticeably slower compared to loading child waypoint as POI only.
It would have been great to utilize the new functionality to access the child waypoints from the Geocaching Interface, but when the response is slow one gets impatient after a while and returns to load child waypoints as POI again. :(
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Catch wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:17 am I have done some more tests the last few days, including child waypoints in the GPX file, and even with a number of child waypoints well within the limit of 10K, the Montana 7x0 response in noticeably slower compared to loading child waypoint as POI only.
How much slower? What additional time are you seeing during the boot process? is the next boot processes normal?
Catch

Unread post by Catch »

It is not the boot process that is slow. After upgrading to FW 6.30, the boot goes much faster than before.
The slow response is e.g. when pushing the Geocache Dashboard, and navigation in the geocache list
Catch

Unread post by Catch »

Catch wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:54 pm It is not the boot process that is slow. After upgrading to FW 6.30, the boot goes much faster than before.
The slow response is e.g. when pushing the Geocache Dashboard, and navigation in the geocache list
I tested again with and without Child Waypoints in the GPX file after upgrading to FW 6.40 Beta, and as expected it made no difference. A few more examples to describe what I mean by slow response.

Child Waypoints in the GPX file (11K Geocaches and 6K Child Waypoints):
When pushing the Geocaching Dashboard it takes a second or two before the geocaches are listed, and again, when selecting a geocache from the list, it takes about 2 more seconds before the map are updated and the geocache symbol are shown on the map.
When selecting + or - it also takes about 2 seconds before the map are refreshed.

Child Waypoints as POI only (22K Geocaches):
Repeating the tests, and the response is almost instant.

Return to “Montana 7x0”