Activity is cleared when auto archive of GPX is set. FIT data lost. [Bug 85]

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66s/st GPSr

Activity is cleared when auto archive of GPX is set. FIT data lost. [Bug 85]

Unread post by 987 »

GPSMAP 66st firmware 4.20, gps firmware 2.80.

Hi.
I have the following set up for activity saving.
Format: FIT and GPX.
Autoarchive of GPX: Daily.
Auto start: on. Auto stop: off.
Tracking mode: auto. Most often.

I really don't think the settings matter, but i add it as reference.

Now to the point.
Say i start an activity day 1, which continues an finish day 2.
The number of points logged is far below the maximum 20 000 points. In fact around 4000 after the first day, and another 4000 the second day.
After the second day i want to save the complete activity. When selection Save from the current activity page. The only data saved is for the current day, which is now day 2. In my saved activity and my saved track, i cannot see the first day, which looks to be lost.
Now, if i go into Saved tracks -> Archived -> Auto, i can see the first day but of course this is only the first day, not the complete Activity.

So all in all, the problem becomes that for anyone dependent on FIT-data, they will loose all data for the first day unless they manually save the activity, or make a different set up.
For me, mostly using the GPX it's not a big issue, i can take day 1 and day 2, but it is annoying that the activity got cleared, when the setting only talks about auto archive of GPX.

I know there is a setting of auto archive when full, but that is not very optimal, because when the number of points reach around 18 000, the auto archive will save the oldest 6000 points instead of the entire dataset. Again, the FIT is not auto saved.

At the moment, because this does not impact me very much, apart from being annoying, i do not have many suggestions on how to improve the functionality. Maybe others have :-)

Re: Activity is cleared when auto archive of GPX is set. FIT data lost. [Bug 85]

Unread post by 987 »

A small addition.
After saving the activity manually on day 2, the total distance says the correct value (since the last reset), this is not changed by the auto archive of GPX.
But the trackpoints in the saved activity showing where the travel took place, only shows the part after the auto GPX save took place.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Activity is cleared when auto archive of GPX is set. FIT data lost. [Bug 85]

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Thank you for this report!

Based on you post, it sounds like the GPSMAP 66 is failing to reset the 'Recording Controls' data when the 'Auto Archive - Daily' occurs.

It will require a couple days to verify....

Unread post by 987 »

Either reset, or actually save one part in GPX format for the day saved, but continue to accumulate the activity (which can later be saved as activity), and when it becomes full roll over and drop the oldest track points continuously, but continue to correctly track the trip data.
Or, also auto save the activity while anyway saving the GPX.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

We have attempted to duplicate the behaviors shared in this post with our GPSMAP 66 (running a newer firmware), and we are happy to report we have been unsuccessful.

The 'Archive Daily' behavior you describe is correct. If you have the GPSr configured to auto-archive the current activity daily, the previous days activity will be archived when you power the device on the following day. If you do not want this to happen, disable 'auto-archive > daily'.

We were able to locate the auto-archived data in both GPX and FIT files on our device, so no data was lost.

Please report your observations again after testing with the next firmware update installed on your GPSMAP 66.

Thank You.

Unread post by 987 »

Hi, thanks for the feedback. Are you sure that you find the FIT data for day 1?
Because i cannot see it from the GPS unit itself, nor anywhere on the internal disk (for example under /Garmin/Activities/).

I can only see the following:
day 1 which have been auto archived is only present under /Garmin/GPX/Archive/Auto/
day 2 (which is from when i selected Save in the recording control) is present under /Garmin/Activities/ and under /Garmin/GPX/Archive/.

When i open the Recorded Activities that i saved on day 2, it contains no track points from the day 1.

It is perhaps as intended, but the text in the settings says only "GPX Auto Archive", it does not say anything about clearing the activity while doing auto archive, nor archiving the FIT data.
This leads to the impression that GPX is saved and cleared, but FIT continues to accumulate until it is full or till i reset.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Yes, we found a FIT file in the Garmin/Activities directory with yesterdays date that indeed had the same tracklog data through the end of the day yesterday as the GPX file we found in the Garmin/GPX/Archive directory with the 'Day' suffix (auto-archive day).

Unread post by 987 »

This is different. I cannot see any FIT file with data from day 1, only an auto archived GPX with data from day 1.
The FIT file i have contains only the data from day 2.
I converted the FIT file to GPX with gpsbabel, and the first point present is from day 2.

Which exact software do you have on that device? I have 4.20 and 2.80.
The settings are like this under Menu -> Setup -> Recording (same as Activities setup if one enters via Recording controls).
Record method: Auto.
Interval: most often.
Auto pause: off.
auto start: on.
Activity type: other.

Advanced setup:
Output Format: FIT and GPX.
GPS auto archive: Daily.
Trip recording: Always.
Recorded data reset: prompted.

I changed settings, and then back again and will try again to log multiple days.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Please re-read my post above.
kampy

Unread post by kampy »

I acknowledge this very serious problem. Fortunately, it is fickle, apparently some other conditions are required so that the track of the previous day does not remain in the archive. Last weekend I had this problem a second time. A copy of the track has not been preserved anywhere. Several times everything was fine and a copy of the 1st day track was saved, but apparently under some conditions this does not happen. On the other hand, this is a very strange implementation on the part of Garmin when archiving a common track, why should you cut the current activity.

Return to “GPSMAP 66s/st”