Can't delete Oregon 750 corrupt WiFi entry

Discussion related to the Garmin Oregon 7x0 series GPSr
csewell

Can't delete Oregon 750 corrupt WiFi entry

Unread post by csewell »

I have an old WiFi entry to a network that doesn't exist in my Oregon 750 Wifi network list. It actually looks like a corrupt combination of a couple of WiFi networks that don't exist any more. I've tried deleting it through the WiFi app on the Oregon, and also by removing and re-adding the Oregon in Garmin Express, and deleting the entry when it sets up WiFi again, but it just won't go away. Is there a config file or some WiFi file on the Oregon I can edit or delete to get rid of it?
mity!

Re: Can't delete Oregon 750 corrupt WiFi entry

Unread post by mity! »

I don't have a solution for you. :oops:

But probably you can have a look to the files and folders page.

There is a Wi-Fi config file here:
Oregon 7x0 | Garmin | WIFI | OUT.BIN
As far as it is a 'BIN' I would not expect to find anything "readable" there. But you can try to delete it (with a saved backup on your hard-disk of course!) and hope :!: that the unit will "recover" a blank file after reboot.

Another place that could be worth a view is
Oregon 7x0 | Garmin | .GarminDevice.xml
or the
system.xml (I think in the same folder).
But I would be amazed if the Wi-Fi config (including the keys...) was stored in plain text file.

BTW: Do you get an error message if you try to delete the entry or does it just remain after deleting?
csewell

Unread post by csewell »

I've renamed the BIN file; it gets recreated, but the old Wifi entry remains. The XML file does have some WiFi entries in it, but just to configure where the directory is. Using the "Remove network" button and confirming the remove just doesn't have any effect. I think I will temporarily rename my current WiFi network, connect to it, and then see if I can remove it. I suppose a factory reset would clear it, but I've spent too much time configuring the drawers just the way I like them.
csewell

Unread post by csewell »

Nope. Creating a matching WIfi SSID and trying to connect to it fails. Also, if I try to add another Wifi network through the same WIfi app, the 750 crashes and powers off. The only way I can connect to a different WiFi SSID is to remove the GPS from Garmin Express, and add it in again, selecting a different WiFi network. It looks like a factory reset is in order.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Firmware 3.90 just released today, could give it a go and see if that helps first!
csewell

Unread post by csewell »

Well now I'm stumped. I reset back to factory defaults and the useless WiFi network still shows up in the list and can't be deleted. And when I try to add another WiFi network, it still crashes and powers off. I'm on the 3.90 firmware.

I've reported this to Garmin support.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Rename the entire 'Garmin' directory on the GPSr to something like 'oldGarmin' and reboot and see what happens. You can always restore the original Garmin directory later as desired.
csewell

Unread post by csewell »

I finally got rid of it by rolling back to an older firmware. It removed all WiFi entries, I then updated to 3.90. However it appears that the WiFi app on the Garmin is broken. Every time I try to connect to a WiFi network it crashes and powers off the unit. The only way to add a network is through Garmin Express. The Garmin WiFi app t never even gets as far as asking for the WiFi password. As soon as you select the SSID it crashes. Or if you select +, then select SSID OR Password.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Interesting.

After updating my unit to 3.90, I found all my WiFi data was missing, and had to start from scratch to connect to WiFi networks present. The first went OK, but half way through setting up the second network, my unit crashed.
csewell

Unread post by csewell »

Here's another problem that happened to me. Can't say if anyone else is affected. I have a Tempe sensor that got disconnected a while back because of an exhausted battery and with 3.90 I couldn't add it back. It just kept "searching". I rolled back to 3.70 and the same thing happened. I then went back to 3.60 and was finally able to connect. I then upgraded to 3.90 and it kept the Tempe connection.

I hope that's the last time I have to roll back to an earlier firmware or do a reset. Setting up all my activity screens, dashboards, trip computer, and defaults over and over again is getting to be a pain.

Return to “Oregon 7x0”