Re: Feature Request: Two Data Fields

Unread post by g66 »

e.g.
https://www.gaiagps.com/map/?loc=12.2/- ... sterMeters

Crossing a bay is possible or not
g66

Unread post by g66 »

Did anyone get any feedback after 4 months?

Is garmin working on a better chart, or did they stop to release any new firmware, or are they building a new firmware for gpsmap 68?
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

It has been 4 months now since the last firmware release, so one could expect another release very soon. However, we will only know what has changed after we install and test it!
bonstetten

Unread post by bonstetten »

This issue (Additional waypoints from multi caches are not loaded )is known since the Oregon 700 (> 3 years!). It's annoying.
It's like having to download gas stations and current traffic information using a .gpx file to your Garmin car GPS before you drive off.
I don't know how the product management at Garmin is organized on this topic. Sometimes it is better to leave out a function than to implement it badly.

Why not publish the firmware as open source and let the community develop better software? I assume that Garmin will be able to sell more of the (good) hardware when improved firmware would be available.
g66

Unread post by g66 »

Last firmware update from
September 26, 2019

Seems to me, they sadly lost their only one programmer :shock:
mirra78

Unread post by mirra78 »

also here i submitted a request for the 2 data fields :D
g66

Unread post by g66 »

This might be implmented in April 2022. :D
it is very complicated to display only 2 data fileds instead of 4 - so it will take some time

Sorry for my sarkasm :ugeek:
But garmin sucks
les___

Unread post by les___ »

Seems this thread has gone dormant for a while, but the issue is still with us and very annoying. What's the point of a big screen map if it's hogged by 4 small data fields, when I only need two?
It can't be that difficult to program.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Do not hold your breath for this one as it is not likely to happen any time soon. Nor does it need to.

If you look carefully at all dashboards for all modern Garmin devices, you will find they all use the same basic design structure. They all use about 1/3 of the available display height. This allows for use of common code for all pages capable of displaying dashboards in both portrait and landscape mode. No, the GPSMAP 66 units do not have a landscape mode, but other device that share the display do (Oregon 6x0, 7x0, Rino 7x0).

The GPSMAP 66 series still displays far more map page information with four data fields enabled than previous series with only two data fields enabled.

See GPSrChive > GPSMAP 66 > FAQ > FAQ #50.

Return to “GPSMAP 66s/st”