Geocache Map Tab - Default Zoom Level

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66s/st GPSr
searchjaunt

Geocache Map Tab - Default Zoom Level

Unread post by searchjaunt »

I have a question on the map on the 3rd tab of a geocaching page.
The map is always zoomed out way too high so it's unusable. It looks like that it tries to put all caches on one map, which is impossible.
Tried to zoom in, but the next time it's zoomed out again. I tried several things like setting autozoom off.
Is there a way to set a fix zoom level?
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Map not refreshing when in Geocache-View

Unread post by GPSrChive »

No, the Geocaching Page Map Tab has a fixed starting zoom range. You can use the +/- buttons to zoom in/out as desired from there.
searchjaunt

Unread post by searchjaunt »

Bummer. The current zoom level is useless. Maybe a feature request for a more usable zoom level?
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

"useless" may be an overstatement, at minimum.

The GPSMAP 66 Geocache Page Map Tab default zoom level is 1.2m, same as the Oregon 7x0 series, introduced more than 3 years ago, and I have not heard of anyone complaining about it until now.

The primary function of the Geocache Page Map Tab is to load geocaches via GCLive, presumably for your current location, although one can pan the map and load geocaches near any location they desire. Not every location on Earth has the same geocache density, and many locations may not show any geocaches on the map at the 1.2m zoom range.

If the zoom range were at, say, .5 miles, we might be seeing a lot of complaints from users not seeing any new geocaches on the map after loading via GCLive in sparsely populated areas. One can assume Garmin software engineers determined this zoom range was the best default compromise for the purpose of loading new geocaches.

Once loaded, if you desire more control over an initial map zoom range, why not just use the Map page? This page allows one to A. Control auto zooming features, B. Set initial zoom level, C. See more map than the GC Map Tab.

Perhaps one could ask Garmin to allow the user to disable auto-zooming for the GC Map Tab, but I suspect they would return an answer very similar to the one I just provided.

Besides, once the Geocaching Map Tab is open at the 1.2m zoom range, if pressing the +/- buttons a time or two to fine tune the map zoom level to your desired level is too much trouble, well, I just don't know what to say, other than "Get on with it!"

Return to “GPSMAP 66s/st”