eTrex 32x (Gen 1) slow to show map from waypoint

Discussion related to the Garmin eTrex 22x, 32x GPSr

Re: eTrex 32x (Gen 1) slow to show map from waypoint

Unread post by 987 »

Przekątny wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:37 am No, this is not the case, for example, search by addresses, you can have the Topo Active map turned on and search for addresses only on the Osm map, if you choose the Osm map. Searching by other categories works similarly, but that doesn't mean it's just as fast. When searching for geographical objects, the search engine searches for the entered phrase in an area with a radius of approximately 1000 km, even on one map the search takes quite a long time.
Your statement is not correct. i just tried it on my etrex 32x to eliminate any wrong understanding from my end, the functionality to search only a particular map is broken on etrex32x, and by the way, filtering by map (if working) only works for other type of searchable points, not for addresses, addresses seems to be searched from all maps always.

Anyhow, this topic is not about enabling/disabling maps or filter by map, it is about what is in the first post.
Administrators, i kindly ask you to remove the entire thread, or all messages after the first, because the discussion is not staying on topic.
Przekątny

Unread post by Przekątny »

987 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 12:12 pm Your statement is not correct. i just tried it on my etrex 32x to eliminate any wrong understanding from my end, the functionality to search only a particular map is broken on etrex32x, and by the way, filtering by map (if working) only works for other type of searchable points, not for addresses, addresses seems to be searched from all maps always.
The problem you mentioned cannot be explained, it is a software and device problem,
unless a reset improves something.

Addresses are searched on one map.
In the search engine by addresses, enter the first letter or two letters of the country's name, a list will be displayed and you will be able to choose on which map the address should be searched. There is some oversight on the part of map producers - they do not place a map marker next to the name of the country, the name of the country may be repeated several times on the list, each item is a different map.

Unread post by 987 »

Przekątny wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 12:38 pm
Addresses are searched on one map.
In the search engine by addresses, enter the first letter or two letters of the country's name, a list will be displayed and you will be able to choose on which map the address should be searched. There is some oversight on the part of map producers - they do not place a map marker next to the name of the country, the name of the country may be repeated several times on the list, each item is a different map.
Again not correct. One can chose country (just as you describe) but not map for address search.

Discussion still off topic.
Przekątny

Unread post by Przekątny »

987 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 1:15 pm Again not correct. One can chose country (just as you describe) but not map for address search.
Again, I have to write off-topic... that I am searching for the address in a small town that is only on one map in my device, if I point to another map of the same country, the town will not be found - Why?.

Unread post by 987 »

After testing a bit more on addresses, I apologize for not knowing this fully. Still, not the topic in question.

Unread post by 987 »

I made the same test of time for a waypoint to show on map compared to some other type of point (such as, but not only, POI from POI database via where to -> extras).
This time on a GPSMAP 66st.
Map volume is 20 GB. 9 GB of those are topo active Europe, 11 GB other.

It takes 4 seconds for a waypoint to show on map. Other types of points show the map instantly (under 1 sec).

Because of the better hardware the delay is not as long as on etrex, but it is there.

It is clearly an programming issue for waypoints only. I have reported it as a bug to Garmin.

If anyone with large volumes of maps (15 GB or more) can confirm such delays on etrex or GPSMAPs it would be supporting the observation.

Return to “eTrex x2x”