Rino 75x GMRS Firmware 5.30

Discussion related to the Garmin Rino 7xx series GPSr
Wombo

Rino 75x GMRS Firmware 5.30

Unread post by Wombo »

Rino 75x GMRS Firmware Update 5.30

October 24, 2023
  • Not Published - Do Not Update Until Garmin Publish the Change Log.

This update is being released in stages via Garmin Express, and should be available to everyone soon.

Please report your observations here!

original post
Version 5.30 is being released through Express but no change log is yet available in either Express or the device update web page.
File size of the update.gcd is identical to V5.10 however a binary compare of the two shows considerable differences.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Rino 75x GMRS Firmware 5.30

Unread post by GPSrChive »

@Wombo

Notice anything new or different yet?
Wombo

Unread post by Wombo »

Given their track record over the last few years I no longer install any Garmin updates until I understand what's in them and I'm comfortable they have proven stable.
Wombo

Unread post by Wombo »

There have been no further change log details published and contacting Garmin Support only resulted in a very unhelpful refusal to divulge any detail whatsoever.

In the absence of any other negative feedback appearing I tentatively proceeded to update one device.

I have no idea what else has changed but can confirm that the two main faults handicapping the device in the Australian market have NOT been addressed and remain as before. That is:
1. Primary UHF CB call channel 40 dysfunctional (drowned out by noise, presumably an internal harmonic issue but not acknowledged by Garmin)
2. Freezing on startup if an SD card is present and requiring the battery removed (and protective cover you have one wrestled off & on again).
Both issues remain in 5.30
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

The current state of Garmin 'Customer Support' is beyond mildly infuriating, to be polite. I'll leave it at that for now....

Return to “Rino 7xx”