GPSMAP 66 Firmware 3.10

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66s/st GPSr
wwerner

Release 3.1 is here

Unread post by wwerner »

Just found it in GarminExpress.
Not sure what changed but everything seems to be fine.

Wwerner
GPSrChive
Site Admin

GPSMAP 66 Firmware 3.10

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Now available!

Everyone should see it by end of day tomorrow, July 5, 2019.

See the Firmware page for more info.

Report observations here!
searchjaunt

Re: GPSMAP 66 Firmware 3.10

Unread post by searchjaunt »

Installed and tried things out and the only thing that seems to have been solved is:
"when one looks at a cache description or logs of caches of a caches and scrolls down, go to another cache (whether or not the previous one is logged) and go to the description or logs, the display starts from the point where I stopped scrolling at the previous cache instead of displaying from the top"

Issues like long loading WPs time, no direction cache shortcut (still have to go via ribbon), empty list with 3 tabs, reversed dates, etc are still occurring
RickyT

Unread post by RickyT »

The ° sign is still missing in position format.
Example: N 5249.1000 E 01414.2000 instead of N 52° 49.1000 E 014° 14.2000

I hope it will be fixed with Firmware Version 3.20, in 2.10 it was right :(
searchjaunt

searchjaunt wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:18 pm Installed and tried things out and the only thing that seems to have been solved is:
"when one looks at a cache description or logs of caches of a caches and scrolls down, go to another cache (whether or not the previous one is logged) and go to the description or logs, the display starts from the point where I stopped scrolling at the previous cache instead of displaying from the top"
Have been caching for a while and the above is not always the case. It seems that it still starts and the point where I left scrolling with the previous cache. The only difference is that hitting the arrow let it jump to the top of the description above.
searchjaunt

Don't know if this is 3.1 specific, but I navigated this morning to a POI from OSM maps, in casu a shop, and I got a pop-up message indicating that I arrived at the location and the GPS hanged. Battery removal was the only cure to get further.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

searchjaunt wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:56 pm Don't know if this is 3.1 specific, but I navigated this morning to a POI from OSM maps, in casu a shop, and I got a pop-up message indicating that I arrived at the location and the GPS hanged. Battery removal was the only cure to get further.
Please send your GarminDevice.xml and System.xml files to Garmin as directed in Common Issues > Error Reporting.

Thank You!
searchjaunt

gpsrchive wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:02 pm
Please send your GarminDevice.xml and System.xml files to Garmin as directed in Common Issues > Error Reporting.

Thank You!
I would have, but this ends up at local support and you know what the level/quality of the local support is all about.
Having said, I had another issue this afternoon: the cursor wouldn't move anymore whilst hitting the arrow keys after a long while that the screen was in power save mode. Only rebooting helped.
I guess all these issue will not be repeatable, but adding all things up, these hick-ups of the the device get really annoying.
searchjaunt

Now that I've time to make use of the 66 every day on holiday, there isn't a day going by that either the device hangs, crashes or does unexpected things. All out of the blue without specific reason or repeatable circumstances.

For a device (as expensive) which is out for a year now and had several updates (where I doubt the use/urgency of some fixes whereas some issues remain unsolved), this is rather disappointing. I can't remember that I had such troubles with the 60, the oregon 450 (the 600 at the other hand was also a disaster) and the 64.
ivhs72

Unread post by ivhs72 »

searchjaunt wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:30 pm Now that I've time to make use of the 66 every day on holiday, there isn't a day going by that either the device hangs, crashes or does unexpected things. All out of the blue without specific reason or repeatable circumstances.

For a device (as expensive) which is out for a year now and had several updates (where I doubt the use/urgency of some fixes whereas some issues remain unsolved), this is rather disappointing. I can't remember that I had such troubles with the 60, the oregon 450 (the 600 at the other hand was also a disaster) and the 64.
I agree with you, the 66s is a product that promises a lot but has a lot of problems. My most recent is that it seems to update my geocaches, but when I look at one, it is blank, and it locks up the unit, and I have to remove the batteries to power it off. I have to say that when it works, it works well. But it takes me way too much time to get it to work correctly, and each time it's something different. I wish I could return it to REI but they only offer 90 guarantees on products.

Have you had any contact with Garmin support lately? For me, they are in Salem, Oregon, about 45 miles south of me. I'm tempted to drive down and walk in and see what they can do for me.......

Return to “GPSMAP 66s/st”