eTrex auto routing map dependent?

Discussion related to all OSM based maps for Garmin GPSr
skinnie

eTrex auto routing map dependent?

Unread post by skinnie »

Hello all,
Some years ago I had an Etrex 30X with the TopoActive map. It's auto routing for cycling wasn't super nice...
At the time I remember someone telling me to try openfietsmap lite maps on it, not only because they were lighter but because the routing was better.
Further reading I see "The Openfietsmaps are not suitable for car navigation. Motorways and other roads that are blocked for cyclists are non routable. Limited use for Walking ..."

My 1st question is: is routing depending on maps? Or just at a certain level, depending on the "blocked" "roads"?

I just bought an etrex 30 for cheap, to be my backup device while cycling ultra distance race, and would like to make it as most pratical and reliable possible.
2nd question: If routing depends on the map and I should stick with openfietsmaplite, can I change the way it looks? to look like garmin maps?

*** please review forum posting guidelines ***

*** formatting updated to comply with forum posting guidelines ***
Spoiler
Garmin maps
Openfietsmap lite maps

3rd quesiton: if routing doesn't depend on the map, any recommendation of osm map?

Thank you
JungleJim

Re: eTrex auto routing map dependent?

Unread post by JungleJim »

Routing can indeed depend on the map. For example OpenFietsMap will not route over highways and will prefer cycle ways when calculating a route.

The OpenFietsMap has it's own style that is optimized for cycling purposes. There are a couple of other styles available (see here on openfietsmap.nl), but if you really want to change what it looks like you need to edit the so called TYP file that comes with the map. The TYP file defines the layout and style of the map. But beware it is not for the faint of heart ;)

The OpenFietsMap Lite map is a great map for cycling, as it is really optimized for that purpose. Other free OSM based maps that may be of interest:
Current: GPSMAP 67, Edge 1040, inReach Messenger - Previous: GPSMAP 66sr, Oregon 700, Dakota 20, Edge 1030 Plus, Edge 1030, Edge 520 Plus, Edge 520
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: eTrex auto routing map dependent?

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Some additional routing clarification:

There are two types of routing possible on a Garmin GPSr.
  • Direct Routing - Directions are provided as a straight point-to-point path
  • Calculated Routing - Directions are provided along an automatically calculated path

Direct Routing does not require or use any mapping data. Direct Routing simply provides the distance and bearing from your current location to the next route point. Map data will have no affect on routing behavior or performance.

Calculated Routing requires maps with routing data to be loaded and enabled on the GPSr. Not all routable maps will include the same routing information, so the device calculated path may vary from one map to another. Most navigators also allow the user to select various routing options based on their activity type and other routing preferences. Changing these settings will impact the device calculated path for the same map. Not all devices support calculated routing, and routing capabilities can vary from one model to the next.

Additional routing information can be found below:

GPSrChive > BaseCamp > Routes

GPSrChive > How To... > Routes

GPSrChive > How To... > Navigation

Return to “OSM Maps”