Is the MINI 2 usable for accurate on-device track logs?

Discussion related to the Garmin inReach MINI 2
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Is the MINI 2 usable for accurate on-device track logs?

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Wombo wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 7:47 am Some examples I've already seen here on a new device with latest V4.22:
Please confirm device firmware (software) and GPS version from your MINI 2 > Settings > About page.
Wombo

Unread post by Wombo »

Delving a little deeper here is some more detail from extra testing that adds to and corrects one of the observations from my short test.

With inReach Tracking (Send Interval) Off, and Activity Recording Standard, the device does commence logging continuous track points as I observed, however after around 24 seconds it does revert to the 10-minute logging interval as specified by Garmin.

This did not show initially on my short figure 8 course, and over a longer course the track behavior appears identical to the other observations with the inReach Tracking on. Each of the 10-minute intervals repeats the pattern of 20'ish second clusters of track points.
Detailed plot example
Standard Detail Track.JPG
My software version is 4.22 (911827) & Multi-GNSS 7.00
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wombo

Unread post by Wombo »

A test loop today accompanied by a GPSMAP66i gives another view on just how much you could be missing, net result two clusters of points over 18 minutes:
MINI 2 High Detail track compared with 66i
Test Redacted.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wombo

Unread post by Wombo »

In regard to the underlying question of accuracy and useability of the MINI 2 Activity track log - once the current bugs that hobble its useability are resolved - I've completed a test over a short variable geometry loop to quantify this.

In summary, under the ideal conditions of the test and using the "High Detail" algorithm demonstrated that the MINI 2 was capable of resolving loops down to at least approximately 6 x 9 meters, with 95% of track points falling to within less than 3.1m of the true line. It was not able to resolve my next smallest loop of 3m diameter.

This is clearly not going to be the same in typical usage environments but it's a guide. The details are in the images below and you can make your own judgment for your use case but I personally think it's very capable of being used to capture good track logs for the activities it's intended for.
Test summary plot
Mini2 Test Plot 04Dec23.jpg
Test details if you want the geeky stuff for validation
Test details 04Dec23.JPG
Test configuration
Test Configuration B 04Dec23.jpg

Return to “inReach MINI 2”