New GPSMAP 64x series

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 64 series GPSr
GPSrChive
Site Admin

New GPSMAP 64x series

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Garmin have announced three new GPSMAP 64 models, the 64x, 64sx, and 64csx.

All three models include new access to Galileo satellite signals and TopoActive routable maps for the US and Australia.

The 's' models have a barometric altimeter and 3D compass, while the 'c' model retains the 8mp camera from previous models.

Press Release here.

More to come...
ivhs72

Re: New GPSMAP 64x series

Unread post by ivhs72 »

Getting mine on Saturday, picking it up at my local REI. I'm getting it mostly for the TopoActive maps of the US and Australia. We're planning on going down under sometime next year. I'm hoping it has the same rechargeable battery capability, and loads my PQs faster than the 66s.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Looking forward to your review!
ivhs72

Unread post by ivhs72 »

I got my 64sx today, a day earlier than expected (kudos to REI for the rapid delivery). First impressions are that it's the same physical size as the other 64 series, it fits just fine in the Tusita case that I have for it. There is no carabiner clip included, a bit of a dissapointment I have to say. It uses the mini USB connector (not a micro USB like the 66 series has). It does support the rechargeable Garmin battery pack. I put a 32gb microSD card in it, and it recognized it, so that is where I'll be keeping my geocache data. The device itself is only 8gb, and only 976mb are available to the end user for loading other files, maps, etc. I did load my pocket queries, and it updated just like the 64s I have does, in about 10 minutes. I haven't had a chance to take it outside yet, but plan on doing some geocaching this weekend with it.

The initial screen has a black background to it, as opposed to the white that I'm used to seeing on the 64s. Kind of like a dark mode, for Mac users.

The maps that are included in it are TopoActive Americas, North (2019.10); TopoActive Americas, Central (2019.10); Worldwide DEM Basemap (NR); Garmin DEM Map US (2017.20); and two .jnx maps, Digital Globe (demo) and USGS Quads (Grand Canyon National Park). I'm a little dissappointed that the TopoActive map for Australia is not listed on the map page, since that was one of my motivations for purchasing this device.

More to follow.........
GPSrChive
Site Admin

The GPSMAP 62sx part number for North America is 010-02258-10, which includes North America TopoActive maps installed.

The GPSMAP 62sx part number for Australia and New Zealand is 010-02258-12, which includes Australia and New Zealand TopoActive maps installed.

As you note, the device, with 8GB of available memory has less than 1 GB free with the TopoActive map installed. There is insufficient space for both NA and AUS maps on the same device.

Also, be careful about using any of that space on the GPSMAP 64(x) series for your own personal files, as each update to the TopoActive map will increase the amount of memory required, eventually using most of that remaining space.

My eTrex Touch 25t with TopoActive Europe had to put half the map on an external microSD card during the last update as the 8GB available on the GPSr is no longer sufficient.

The issue becomes that the map is now locked to the user installed microSD card, and should the user decide they want to use any other map locked to another microSD card, they will not have access to both at the same time.

So, be sure to install a large microSD card to your unit, as eventually it will be dedicated to TopoActive mapping and your personal data.

This will quickly become one of the most complained about issue for these units.

Garmin totally missed the ball here, as they should have included a minimum of 12GB on these units, if not 16GB.

But, they did not ask me....
ivhs72

Unread post by ivhs72 »

I put a 32gb card in, so shouldn't be a problem.

I think it would be nice if Garmin would allow the purchase of the TopoActive maps. Is there some sort of equipment limitations that would prevent if from being used on other units, like the Oregon series?

I'm impressed with the TopoActive maps. With my other devices I'd always purchased the City Navigator so I could find my way around towns. Not needed with this one. I'm taking it out tomorrow to do some geocaching so I'll see how that works out.

Also I've noticed every time I power on the unit, it reloads the waypoint, tracks data information again. When I load my pocket queries on the 64s, the first time I turn it on, it takes 8-10 minutes to update, then afterwards it boots much quicker. With the sx it wants to update every time, ie, the progress bar advances across the bottom, so it takes 8-10 to start up.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Sounds like an early firmware glitch that will have to be corrected in a future update....

What is the firmware level on the 64sx?

Can you please email me the GarminDevice.xml and System.xml from the 64sx?
ivhs72

Unread post by ivhs72 »

gpsrchive wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:29 am Sounds like an early firmware glitch that will have to be corrected in a future update....

It says it's 2.00

I'll get those files out tomorrow or Sunday
Last edited by ivhs72 on Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
ivhs72

Unread post by ivhs72 »

gpsrchive wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:29 am Sounds like an early firmware glitch that will have to be corrected in a future update....

Just emailed you the files.
ivhs72

Unread post by ivhs72 »

Found another little glitch of sorts today. When I connected my 64s to my PC, and opened Garmin Express, it shows that both my 64s and 64sx are connected. When I look at the 64s, it shows that I have software 5.30 installed, and when I look at the 64sx, it shows I have 2.00 installed. But the 64sx is not even turned on......

Return to “GPSMAP 64”