Loading waypoints, etc. related to power source [Bug 53]

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66s/st GPSr
searchjaunt

Re: Loading waypoints, etc. related to power source [Bug 53]

Unread post by searchjaunt »

gpsrchive wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 1:34 pm
searchjaunt wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 6:42 am As said in the other thread, I'm wondering why a (large?) GGZ lets the 66 hang on the loading waypoints screen whereas this is no issue on the 64. I don't see anything mentioned about this on the common issues about this device on this site.
We still have to do some testing before we can add it to the list!
Any idea yet if the issue is serious enough in order to be added to the list?
searchjaunt

Any idea when this problem will be on the issue list? I've contacted the local Garmin office, but they don't even care to read e-mails properly and get non relevant answers.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Posted in Common Issues as Bug 53.
ivhs72

Unread post by ivhs72 »

searchjaunt wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 4:49 am
ivhs72 wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 6:35 pm I'm not loading any GGZ files. The GGZ folder in my 66s is empty.
Wouldn't it be interesting to know if GGZ has the same issues as PQs GPXs? After all, GGZ is, afaik, specially designed to replace a huge amount of GPXs, no?
From what I can recall, the GGZ folder was setup to ship with GPSr devices so that anyone purchasing it could start geocaching right away, not have to load any GC's. I remember the first one I saw had some caches listed that had already been archived in our area. I also don't think they've been updated since the first one was published several years ago.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

ivhs72 wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 6:11 pm
searchjaunt wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 4:49 am
ivhs72 wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 6:35 pm I'm not loading any GGZ files. The GGZ folder in my 66s is empty.
Wouldn't it be interesting to know if GGZ has the same issues as PQs GPXs? After all, GGZ is, afaik, specially designed to replace a huge amount of GPXs, no?
From what I can recall, the GGZ folder was setup to ship with GPSr devices so that anyone purchasing it could start geocaching right away, not have to load any GC's. I remember the first one I saw had some caches listed that had already been archived in our area. I also don't think they've been updated since the first one was published several years ago.
Yes, that would be the 'preload.ggz' file in the Garmin\GGZ directory, as shown in the Files & Folders page here at the wiki! It is common practice to either delete the file or rename the file extension - just be aware doing so usually results in a long boot process the next time you power the GPSr on!
searchjaunt

searchjaunt wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 9:09 am Any idea when this problem will be on the issue list? I've contacted the local Garmin office, but they don't even care to read e-mails properly and get non relevant answers.
Surprisingly, I got an answer. They claim that when the gpx (they tested it with a 529Mb gpx I've provided them) is loaded on the internal memory instead of an SD card, the loading 'speed' is the same as on a 64.
Since I've returned my 66, I can't test this claim anymore. Can someone in this forum can do some tests? I can provided a similar file if needed.

Even if putting the file in internal memory 'resolves' the problem, I'm left with the following questions:
- what with GGZ files, which I use the most?
- what is the use of an SD card if one can't put any (large) files on it?
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Email webmaster@gpsrchive.com to discuss file sharing details
searchjaunt

Mail sent
ivhs72

Unread post by ivhs72 »

searchjaunt wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:36 pm
searchjaunt wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 9:09 am Any idea when this problem will be on the issue list? I've contacted the local Garmin office, but they don't even care to read e-mails properly and get non relevant answers.
Surprisingly, I got an answer. They claim that when the gpx (they tested it with a 529Mb gpx I've provided them) is loaded on the internal memory instead of an SD card, the loading 'speed' is the same as on a 64.
Since I've returned my 66, I can't test this claim anymore. Can someone in this forum can do some tests? I can provided a similar file if needed.

Even if putting the file in internal memory 'resolves' the problem, I'm left with the following questions:
- what with GGZ files, which I use the most?
- what is the use of an SD card if one can't put any (large) files on it?

I put my latest pocket queries on my 66s yesterday, and plugged it into AC power before turning it on. Loaded them on the main device, not the microSD card, and had the preloaded ggz files in the correct folder. It took almost 6 hours for it to complete. It hangs on the Loading Waypoints, etc. screen, and takes over 5 hours before the green progress bar moves. When it finished, I turned it off. Today I turned it on, and it did boot correctly. All of the geocaching data is there, as I spot checked some caches. Now, for the record, I have 84 PQs that I load on both the 64s and 66s that I have. Some PQs only have a couple of caches on them, some have the 999 limit, and some that were created from bookmark lists that have a limit of 1000, but most have less than 200 in them. So I load all the PQs to both the 66s and 64s the same way, via drag'n'drop in Windows. When I start the 64s, it takes about 8-10 minutes for it to completely load everything, most of the time spent on the Loading Waypoints, etc. screen and the progress bar. But on the 66s, like it has since I purchased the device last November, it takes up to 6 hours to do the same thing. That is my biggest complaint about it. (Also having to exit the map mode to enter the geocaching mode to view that cache details and log it, and then back tot the map mode to navigate, but this one has already been documented).

Once the PQs are loaded, it works quite well. I used it on a geo-road trip last month, and didn't have any problems.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

I have recently tested this behavior on my GPSMAP 66 with user provided GPX/GGZ files and have been unable to duplicate, both loaded to GPSr internal memory and/or loaded to micro-SD card memory.

This user states these same GPX/GGZ files take hours to load on their device, while they load on my GPSMAP 66 in minutes, so we can rule out the GPX/GGZ file as the problem.

We are still trying to determine what the hang up is, which is difficult when the issue is not easily duplicated on our hardware....

Return to “GPSMAP 66s/st”