crash when moving waypoints [Crash 6]

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66s/st GPSr
steerage250

crash when moving waypoints [Crash 6]

Unread post by steerage250 »

My GPS says:
Software Version 3.00
GPS Software Version 2.50

a.Is the "Software version" what is often referred to as the "firmware version" ?
b.is the "GPS software version" updateable - or in ROM in a chipset ?

Following the procedure below causes a system crash 9 times out of 10 (ish)

Use the following key sequence to move a waypoint:
1. place the cursor on a waypoint
2. press Enter
3. ensure the waypoint is selected if multiple objects are listed
4. press Enter (“Go” is offered – but don’t press Enter)
5. press Menu (Edit Waypoint is offered)
6. press Enter (to edit the waypoint)
7. press Menu and select “Move Waypoint”
8. press Enter
9. move the cursor to the new location with Move offered (why does it zoom out ??)
10. press Enter (to move the waypoint to the new location)
11. press Quit (to get back to the edit waypoint screen)
12. press Quit (to get back to the “Go” screen)
13. press Quit (to get back to the Map screen)
14. map screen redraws and GPS shuts down in less than 1 second
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: crash when moving waypoints [Crash 6]

Unread post by GPSrChive »

steerage250 wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 12:05 pm My GPS says:
Software Version 3.00
GPS Software Version 2.50

a.Is the "Software version" what is often referred to as the "firmware version" ?
b.is the "GPS software version" updateable - or in ROM in a chipset ?

Yes, Garmin use 'Software Version' repeatedly, which has created confusion frequently in the past. We refer to the GPSr 'Operating System' as the 'Firmware', and the GPS chipset (the processor that reads the satellite signals) as 'GPS Software' for additional clarity. For example, your PC may use Windows 10 operating system (Firmware). If you were to connect a GPS signal receiver, it would require 'Software' to use it with the host operating system (Firmware).

If you look at the GPSMAP 66 > Firmware page you will see a section listing the GPS Chipset software revisions. The current version is 2.60. You can update the GPS software via Garmin Express. WebUpdater may also be able to update the GPS Chipset software.

steerage250 wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 12:05 pm
Following the procedure below causes a system crash 9 times out of 10 (ish)

Use the following key sequence to move a waypoint:
1. place the cursor on a waypoint
2. press Enter
3. ensure the waypoint is selected if multiple objects are listed
4. press Enter (“Go” is offered – but don’t press Enter)
5. press Menu (Edit Waypoint is offered)
6. press Enter (to edit the waypoint)
7. press Menu and select “Move Waypoint”
8. press Enter
9. move the cursor to the new location with Move offered (why does it zoom out ??)
10. press Enter (to move the waypoint to the new location)
11. press Quit (to get back to the edit waypoint screen)
12. press Quit (to get back to the “Go” screen)
13. press Quit (to get back to the Map screen)
14. map screen redraws and GPS shuts down in less than 1 second

Thank you for the crash report!

Posted to Common Issues as Crash #6.

Please do send this information to Garmin with your *.xml files as directed at the top of the GPSMAP 66 Common Issues page!
steerage250

reported to Garmin
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Thank you!
steerage250

gpsrchive wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 1:12 pm
Yes, Garmin use 'Software Version' repeatedly, which has created confusion frequently in the past. We refer to the GPSr 'Operating System' as the 'Firmware', and the GPS chipset (the processor that reads the satellite signals) as 'GPS Software' for additional clarity. For example, your PC may use Windows 10 operating system (Firmware). If you were to connect a GPS signal receiver, it would require 'Software' to use it with the host operating system (Firmware).

If you look at the GPSMAP 66 > Firmware page you will see a section listing the GPS Chipset software revisions. The current version is 2.60. You can update the GPS software via Garmin Express. WebUpdater may also be able to update the GPS Chipset software.
Even more confusing is when you use WebUpdater to update the GPS chipset software, then re-boot the unit, it gives you progress for updating the firmware!!

They really have no standards for their own nomenclature do they ?
GPSrChive
Site Admin

steerage250 wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 9:13 am Even more confusing is when you use WebUpdater to update the GPS chipset software, then re-boot the unit, it gives you progress for updating the firmware!!

They really have no standards for their own nomenclature do they ?
They are consistently inconsistent.

8^]
steerage250

Garmin replied and wanted me to try a Master Reset and a software reload. I declined saying that I didn't think the disruption caused was worth the very slim chance it would fix the problem.

However, they did point-out the method of moving a waypoint by entering through the Waypoint Manager - and this does seem to work reliably.

However, I said I hoped they were going to pursue the bug I reported, because you're usually on the map screen when you notice a waypoint needs to be moved, so it makes more sense to pick the offending waypoint right there on the map screen. Rather than memorising the (often cryptic or meaninglessly numbered) waypoint name, switching the the Main menu, opening Waypoint Manager, using search to find the offending waypoint - without forgetting the name
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Thank you for the updated information, steerage250!
searchjaunt

Unread post by searchjaunt »

steerage250 wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 9:53 am Garmin replied and wanted me to try a Master Reset and a software reload. I declined saying that I didn't think the disruption caused was worth the very slim chance it would fix the problem.
That's the standard copy/paste answer I always get too when I report issues to Garmin. It doesn't what type of device it concerns. I have Garmin units for over 15 years (since streetpilot c310) and all over these years there are 2 constants:
- the users are beta testers for new devices and it takes at least 1 year in order to get it properly working as one should expect
- the support is poor and one gets always the standard copy/paste reset message as first reply. I takes ages to convince them that it's a real issue and getting it fixed.
Since there isn't that much competition, I guess they can afford it.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Exactly like Micro$oft was with Windows 95/98/ME/XP: "You have an issue? Just reinstall Windows!"

Return to “GPSMAP 66s/st”