GPSMAP 66 Firmware 3.00

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66s/st GPSr
GPSrChive
Site Admin

GPSMAP 66 Firmware 3.00

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Now available, everyone should see it by end of day.

See the Firmware page for more info.

Report observations here!
MikeD

Re: GPSMAP 66 Firmware 3.00

Unread post by MikeD »

Update came down over Wi-Fi ok today.

Confirm they have fixed a shutdown issue if you stopped navigation while having a dashboard active on the map page.
Listed elsewhere in" bugs"
GPSrChive
Site Admin

MikeD wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 5:16 pm Update came down over Wi-Fi ok today.

Confirm they have fixed a shutdown issue if you stopped navigation while having a dashboard active on the map page.
Listed elsewhere in" bugs"
Yes, Crash 03 has been resolved!
Art

Unread post by Art »

Still not here in Aus.
Did it have to be done by Wifi on the device, or using WebUpdater/Garmin express is ok too?
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Art wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 8:12 am Still not here in Aus.
Did it have to be done by Wifi on the device, or using WebUpdater/Garmin express is ok too?
Not sure what Garmins strategy is with this release... Still not available to everyone apparently...
Art

Unread post by Art »

I’ve only given it a little time, but there might be a step in the right direction in the stuff I look for.
The current Garmin Topo map for Australia (V6), some things in the map screen made it crash often,
and definitely a lot more chance of crash if a lot of Birdseye imagery is enabled as well.
It will probably not draw some views at particular zoom levels and probably crash before drawing the screen,
so I have to avoid viewing the map at these certain zoom levels.

Anyways, for 3.00 I got it to crash once (which was a freeze and have to remove the battery crash),
but for this little time I’ve given it so far, it drew many map views without crashing,
and for me, there were usually turn off crashes. None of those happened.

I hope this wasn’t just luck, because it’s promising! If it’s like this the way I’d use it, it’s crossing into reliable territory! :D
My 64st will never crash like this at all. That’s kind of the baseline I’m comparing with using the same map and image data.
oldkingog

Unread post by oldkingog »

Unfortunately, I have the same two issues with the 3.00 update.

1) When I record a track on my bike rides to work, the device crashes about 1 in 4 trips. I have tried different batteries and it doesn't seem to make a difference. I have sent in my files to Garmin about 3 or 4 times, but have not received any feedback from them.

2) The total elevation gain/loss during a recorded walk or hike is way higher than it should be. A one mile walk around my flat neighborhood will typically record 6 ft elevation gain on my Vivoactive 3 and several hundred feet on the 66.

I can live with the elevation issue (although I would expect that to work on a device in this price range), but the constant crashes during track recording may lead me to send the device back for a refund. (I am on my 3rd replacement device, all with the same issues.)
GPSrChive
Site Admin

oldkingog, sorry to hear that. We know how you feel, we've been doing the Garmin GPSr thing for many years, and the new units are always like this for the first 12-24 months... I'm sure they will resolve most of these issues with a few more firmware updates. We must persevere!
oldkingog

Unread post by oldkingog »

Thanks for the encouragement. I can't help to think of old electronics before the age of the internet. Companies had one shot to get it right because there was no way to update software/hardware. Sure, devices/software is more complicated now, but it seems like there is much less sense of urgency now to put out products that have minimal problems right off the bat.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

You got that right! Memory is cheap and they can always just throw a patch on the internet when necessary, so sloppy lazy coding is the rule of thumb now!

Return to “GPSMAP 66s/st”