To Get it Going

Discussion related to the Garmin Monterra GPSr
zstatman

To Get it Going

Unread post by zstatman »

:P

The Monterra is basically a good device but IMHO, Garmin didn't know enough about Android and its development for a GPSr to make this unit worth anyway near the $400 +/- cost

Mine is sitting in the closet collecting dust

My starting $.02
Z_Statman
Montana 650

"It is all in the search!"
Florida, USA

=========================================
"The journey is the reward" (Steve Jobs)
"Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" [Anonymous]
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: To Get it Going

Unread post by GPSrChive »

LOL, mine also is a dust collector that only comes out of hiding when I need to test for the wiki. 8^)
StefandD

Unread post by StefandD »

Funny. I use it all the time for geocaching and car/boat navigation. I consider it one of the best Garmin GPSr devices ever.
joeham

Unread post by joeham »

The Monterra's main feature is the ability to move files around in the device. If the Montana I owned had a file manager function, it would have been the perfect GPS for Garmin maps. You could move different types of map in and out of the Garmin/maps folder to control the size of maps and therefore speed and ease of rendering.

The Monterra's weak point is being stuck at old Android version and no updates. It shines in being able to use other map sources than garmin and other mapping programs like Orux maps etc. plus there are apps to display Geotiff or geopdf maps like those from USFS and USGS.

Hardware wise the sunlight readable display is a really big plus for a GPS.

However, if any of the smart phone people would make a phone with the display used in the Garmin, I would ditch Garmin devices and just go with a phone. Until then some sort of Garmin GPS will be in my pack for my main navigation device.

Return to “Monterra”