Experiences and opinions about the integrated battery

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66sr GPSr
bonstetten

Experiences and opinions about the integrated battery

Unread post by bonstetten »

I do not own a 66sr and even not had the chance to get experience with one.
I can not understand, why they removed the exchangable battery-pack.

Event the say it can be used for >30 hours the battery will getting older and hold less time. For longer hikes, etc. I prefere to have a spare battery with me.

What are your experiences and thoughts? I already heard from logntime GPSMAP 6x-users, that will be a no go to buy one.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Experiences and opinions about the integrated battery

Unread post by GPSrChive »

My first thoughts were similar, but having used one for awhile now, I am quite liking the internal li-ion battery.

I just spent two days in the mountains, and never charged the device. I accidentally left it powered on the first night, which left me with only 33% battery remaining when I checked it the next morning, but even that was more than enough to finish the day.

If I needed it, I could have connected an external battery pack for a short time to top off the internal battery, which happens quit rapidly.

I am really not concerned any longer about 'AA' battery GPSr. Only thing that would make it nicer is if the Li-Ion battery was user swappable in the field, like the new Montana 7x0 series....
mpistora

Unread post by mpistora »

AA batteries are the simplest solution to keep your device running for two weeks on a bike trip. It can be bought in any store.
truckinguy

Unread post by truckinguy »

I agree. AA use will be missed by some for sure. Odd how Garmin always changes things and others have the same as older units.

Unread post by 987 »

I was following this question with some interest, a battery backup (which these days can be up to 20 000 mAh or more) will replace the need of AA-batteries with no problem.
Now, we know that GPSMAP 66s/st sometimes hangs really bad and removing batteries is the only option to restart when no buttons respond.
Is it possible to do a full shutdown of the 66sr by holding down the on/off button (or other buttons) a longer time?

As a comparison, on GPSMAP 66st it does not seam work...
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Yes, holding the power button for >10 seconds will force a power cycle, similar to removing the batteries on 'AA' powered devices.
CheminerWill

Unread post by CheminerWill »

So far I have not really tested it but it came charged to 83% and after a few hours of use setting up etc. was still at 76%. Strange thing though is that it will not charge to 100%. Only gets to 99% and continues to show that it is charging. Even overnight it does not complete. Tried 2 charging blocks. Also after it was charging overnight and in the morning when still showing 99% the following happened.

I unplugged it and plugged in to a different charger and instead of picking up at 99% it showed 98%, That makes me think maybe overnight it did compute as charged to 100% even though the screen was still on and showing 99%. Maybe it then stopped charging but left the screen at 99%? That screen draw may have caused it to be at 98% when I plugged it in to the 2nd charger. So maybe it is the screen message that is not perfectly accurate and it is charging to 100%. I expected it to reach 100% and show that and maybe even turn off the screen at that point.

Not a big deal as is said about horseshoes and hand grenades, it is close enough. What all do others see with theirs? Does it show 100% and turn off the screen or something else?

Garmin99percent.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Let it run down below 30% or lower then perform another overnight charge. The internal battery manager may not be fully calibrated to the battery yet.

GPSMAP 66sr Battery Charged 100.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Also, FWIW, I install this Battery Status Widget on all my Connect IQ equipped GPSr.
CheminerWill

Unread post by CheminerWill »

OK - Thanks. In the meantime what are people seeing when charging is complete. Does the screen turn off? Or stay on saying 100%?

Return to “GPSMAP 66sr”