Experiences and opinions about the integrated battery

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66sr GPSr
bonstetten

Experiences and opinions about the integrated battery

Post by bonstetten »

I do not own a 66sr and even not had the chance to get experience with one.
I can not understand, why they removed the exchangable battery-pack.

Event the say it can be used for >30 hours the battery will getting older and hold less time. For longer hikes, etc. I prefere to have a spare battery with me.

What are your experiences and thoughts? I already heard from logntime GPSMAP 6x-users, that will be a no go to buy one.
gpsrchive
Site Admin

Re: Experiences and opinions about the integrated battery

Post by gpsrchive »

My first thoughts were similar, but having used one for awhile now, I am quite liking the internal li-ion battery.

I just spent two days in the mountains, and never charged the device. I accidentally left it powered on the first night, which left me with only 33% battery remaining when I checked it the next morning, but even that was more than enough to finish the day.

If I needed it, I could have connected an external battery pack for a short time to top off the internal battery, which happens quit rapidly.

I am really not concerned any longer about 'AA' battery GPSr. Only thing that would make it nicer is if the Li-Ion battery was user swappable in the field, like the new Montana 7x0 series....
mpistora

Post by mpistora »

AA batteries are the simplest solution to keep your device running for two weeks on a bike trip. It can be bought in any store.
truckinguy

Post by truckinguy »

I agree. AA use will be missed by some for sure. Odd how Garmin always changes things and others have the same as older units.

Return to “GPSMAP 66sr”