Elevation recording

Discussion related to the Garmin Montana 6x0 series GPSr
Mick F

Re: Elevation recording

Unread post by Mick F »

Yes of course.
How do I do it?

My Montana is set to record at 1sec intervals and the GPX file size for the two trips is about 1Mb each.
I can can reduce the size by converting them to Garmin FIT files via JaVa RTWtool. I use that software to send GPX files to my Garmin Edge 20 ................ that only accepts FIT.
FIT files for the same GPX files are only 175Kb as opposed to 1Mb.

Mick.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Mick F wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:46 am
Mick F wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:12 am Tried it out and it works!

Set the Altimeter to "Fixed Elevation" in Setup/Altimeter/Barometer Mode.

BP Elevation will now be equal to GPS Elevation, so when you produce your GPX track in Track Manager, the elevation profile is the GPS elevation profile. This means then when I go on a flight again, I can record the correct height of the flight and not one that is corrupted by the internal cabin pressure.

Thanks very much indeed.

Mick.
Well ..................

On a flight last week to Bristol to Alicante and back - both journeys with my Montana set up as per the above instructions. The BP altimeter was the same as GPS altimeter as read on Track Manager.

However, when I uploaded the tracks onto my Mac and viewing the flight profiles, they both level out at 20,000ft despite the flight there being at 36,000odd feet and the flight back being at 39,000odd feet.

Thanks,
Mick.
OK, I have had a look at your GPX files, and as you are almost certainly already aware, the data in the GPX files looks correct. So, I am wondering what software you were using on your MAC to view the elevation profiles that topped them out at 20K feet?
Mick F

Unread post by Mick F »

Ascent.
It's a non-supported application these days as the chap that designed it has retired.
Even his website in down now, but was live earlier this year. http://montebellosoftware.com

Excellent program designed for activities. I'm a keen cyclist and I have Ascent records going back to 2004.
I can't upload a screenshot of the elevation profile on here to show it, but I'm wondering that the Ascent program can't cope with elevations so high. I also wonder if the cabin pressure wouldn't be so low as to be equivalent to 20,000ft.

Thanks for viewing the GPX. I'll see if I can upload them into something else that will show the elevation profile.

Mick.

Return to “Montana 6x0”