Power Lead vs USB Lead

Discussion related to the Garmin Montana 6x0 series GPSr
Mick F

Power Lead vs USB Lead

Unread post by Mick F »

If I connect Monty to the original Garmin mains power lead, he powers up normally - and charges his battery too of course.
This is normal, and the way it has been designed.

However, if I connect him up using a standard USB/Mini B lead connected up to a standard mains USB plug or a solar panel or a USB battery pack, he goes into USB mode as if he is connected to a computer.

Is there anything I can do to stop him going into USB mode when NOT connected to a computer?
Is it something to do with the USB/Mini B lead I'm using?

Thanks,
Mick.
dmb1319

Re: Power Lead vs USB Lead

Unread post by dmb1319 »

Garmin mains power lead? Isn't "mains" power, "house" power (220VAC?)? I've never done that to my Montana. Don't have a WAY to do it. When connected NOT on my ATV (AMPS rugged mount) it is via USB to a computer for data transfer and the battery goes into a Garmin charger if it needs to be charged. BTW, the battery also charges when connected to the computer via USB (mini, Type B).

I am not sure if this will help. I THINK I recall people having the problem with a Montana going into data (USB) mode changed by switching modes. Personally, I use Garmin Serial although I think the new MTP mode was recommended. This is where it is located here on GPSrChive:

http://www.gpsrchive.com/Montana/index.htm

[Interface]
Select the USB serial interface protocol
Garmin Spanner (Virtual Serial Port for use with NMEA 0183 compliant mapping programs)
Garmin Serial (Proprietary Garmin Communication Format)
NMEA In/Out (Standard NMEA 0183 Input/Output)
Text Out (Simple ASCII text output of location and velocity information)
RTCM (Radio Technical Commission for Maritime Services - Accepts DGPS data in SC104 format)
MTP (Media Transfer Protocol)

As I said, I don't know if that helps at all, but worth looking into.
Happy trails!
The only feeling better than needing something on the trail and having it, is having it and not needing it!
Ride prepared!
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

I use Garmin Spanner, and am presented an option each time the GPSr is connected via USB.
dmb1319

Unread post by dmb1319 »

The reason I use Garmin Serial is that when I:
- connect it to my computer for data transfer it appears in Basecamp under Devices, as it should
-- it is also discovered by Garmin Webupdater when I check for updates
- put it on the amps mount to use it, the battery charges, as it should
That's all I really want it to do and I believe in the addage "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".
The only feeling better than needing something on the trail and having it, is having it and not needing it!
Ride prepared!
Mick F

Unread post by Mick F »

gpsrchive wrote: Sun May 28, 2017 8:54 pm I use Garmin Spanner, and am presented an option each time the GPSr is connected via USB.
That sounds like what I want. Although I'm sort of OK with automated routines, I really do like a manual approach.

..................... Just tried it, and it's perfect. :D

Thanks,
Mick.
dmb1319

Unread post by dmb1319 »

You just never know your luck. I'm glad it worked out for you.
Happy trails!
Ride prepared!
Mick F

Unread post by Mick F »

dmb1319 wrote: Sun May 28, 2017 9:01 pm The reason I use Garmin Serial is that when I:
- connect it to my computer for data transfer it appears in Basecamp under Devices, as it should
-- it is also discovered by Garmin Webupdater when I check for updates
- put it on the amps mount to use it, the battery charges, as it should
That's all I really want it to do and I believe in the addage "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".
dmb1319 wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 1:15 pm You just never know your luck. I'm glad it worked out for you.
Happy trails!
I agree that when you connect to a computer, it should go into mass storage mode and bring up whatever program you want. Automation is great in that regard.

However, when all I want is to power Monty from a USB power source and allow it to work normally, I don't want it in mass storage mode at all.

Maybe I can't have it both ways?
Is Garmin Spanner the only way to do it?
Why can't Monty differentiate between "USB computer" and "USB power source"?
What's the difference between the Garmin mains lead and a USB lead ........... as far as Monty is concerned?

Scratching my head,
Mick.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

I may be incorrect, but I believe the cables are wired differently for 'USB Charging Only' and 'USB Charging with Communication'. Perhaps finding a USB cable that is designed only for charging will get you where you want to be?
Mick F

Unread post by Mick F »

gpsrchive wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 2:56 pm I may be incorrect, but I believe the cables are wired differently for 'USB Charging Only' and 'USB Charging with Communication'. Perhaps finding a USB cable that is designed only for charging will get you where you want to be?
I think you are correct there.

With my tired old eyes, it seems that there are four connectors at each end.
I reckon that it only needs two to charge rather than four, so as not to appear as a "computer".

Sounds like a bit of research is required. :D
Mick.
Landyman130

Unread post by Landyman130 »

Mick F wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 3:12 pm
gpsrchive wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 2:56 pm I may be incorrect, but I believe the cables are wired differently for 'USB Charging Only' and 'USB Charging with Communication'. Perhaps finding a USB cable that is designed only for charging will get you where you want to be?
With my tired old eyes, it seems that there are four connectors at each end.
I reckon that it only needs two to charge rather than four, so as not to appear as a "computer".
Mick.
With my Montana 650t when connecting, only to charge the battery, there are (at least) to types of cable. Each will put the 650 into a different mode. Use 'trial & error' until you find the cable that gives the mode you require and then stick a label on it.

This behaviour has existed over a number of Garmin GPSrs. I understand that two pins within certain Garmin cables are joined by a resistor or short link, but can't now remember which.

Garmin however have a long history of using different connection modes, that cause unnecessary user confusion.

Return to “Montana 6x0”