Disappearing Pocket Query

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 65 series GPSr
beedaddy

Re: Disappearing Pocket Query

Unread post by beedaddy »

@ivhs72 Thanks for the information about your firmware version. Of course I checked the zoom level for displaying geocaches. But even if they are invisible on the map, you should be able to select them when you press FIND, right? And even that isn't possible with my device. As I said, first they seem to be imported well and I can see them on the map and navigate to them. But after shutting off the device and restarting it, they're completely gone. (The PQ file is still present in the filesystem, though.)
ivhs72

Unread post by ivhs72 »

The 64sx had the Topoactive maps preinstalled but only had 8gb of memory. Mine had less that 500k left after the last update to them.
ivhs72

Unread post by ivhs72 »

beedaddy wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:55 am @ivhs72 Thanks for the information about your firmware version. Of course I checked the zoom level for displaying geocaches. But even if they are invisible on the map, you should be able to select them when you press FIND, right? And even that isn't possible with my device. As I said, first they seem to be imported well and I can see them on the map and navigate to them. But after shutting off the device and restarting it, they're completely gone. (The PQ file is still present in the filesystem, though.)
I just updated the 65s this morning with my latest PQs. I push the envelope on this, I have around 100 of them that I load. It took about 10 minutes update when I first turned it on, which is normal for any of the Garmin units I've owned (except for the 66s that I had). I then cycled power to it several times, and it only took around 30 seconds for it to boot and display the maps. That was a problem with the 64sx I have. Everytime I turned it on, it reloaded the waypoints, etc. which took about 10 minutes. The 65s doesn't have that issue.

As for the geocaches, if you have them in the correct folder, then they should appear on the map anytime. There is no need to go to the geocaching app, unless you're looking for specific ones. But I did verify today that your map scale has to be set to .2 miles for their icon to appear. If it's .3 miles or greater, then they don't show up. That being said, if your map is set to a scale greater than .3 miles, and you go to the geocaching app, select a cache, it will take you to the map and show the icon for that cache. It will also stay there if you zoom in or out. But it will only show the cache you have selected. If you mark it as found, and want to search for more caches, you have to either select one from the geocaching app, or scale down to .2 miles. Again, I'm not sure if this has something to do with the detail level that is selected within the map app or not. I'll play around with it some more and post what I find.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

You can see an overview of all Map settings on one page at GPSrChive > GPSMAP 65 > Setup > Map.

You will have to adjust the zoom values by category to control what you see, and when you see it.
ivhs72

Unread post by ivhs72 »

gpsrchive wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:39 pm You can see an overview of all Map settings on one page at GPSrChive > GPSMAP 65 > Setup > Map.

You will have to adjust the zoom values by category to control what you see, and when you see it.
That did it. I set it to two miles and now the geocaches appear on the regular map settings. :D That's a nice feature, not sure if it was on any other Garmin units or not.
beedaddy

In my case, I set the geocache zoom to Auto (but tried some other zoom levels, too). I'm stunned that you both can't reproduce the issue. I tried it again, without sdcard (and even without a map). Oh, and I recorded a video. :)
If you want, you can watch it here (I just pixeled out my address).
First boot is directly after copying the gpx file to the device. Geocaches are available. Then I reboot and they're gone.

Let's see how it works out after a firmware update.
(I'm just testing it again and again in order to find out the root cause. And … the device is brand new and I start to think about whether to give it back or not.)
GPSrChive
Site Admin

The GPSMAP 65 is just released and it is not uncommon for brand new Garmin devices to see multiple firmware updates very soon after release to correct a few bugs that make it into the release firmware. I suspect a new update for these units is not far off.....
GPSrChive
Site Admin

@ beedaddy:

Just had a thought.

1. Can you confirm if the GPX file is still present on the device even after they are no longer displayed?

2. Can you change device language to English and retest? (load GPX after English configured and reboot, etc.)
beedaddy

gpsrchive wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:49 pm 1. Can you confirm if the GPX file is still present on the device even after they are no longer displayed?
Yes, I can confirm that the file is still present.
gpsrchive wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:49 pm2. Can you change device language to English and retest? (load GPX after English configured and reboot, etc.)
Test done. The problem still persists.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Thank you!

Return to “GPSMAP 65”