First impressions

Discussion related to the Garmin Montana 7x0 series GPSr
CarlosN

First impressions

Unread post by CarlosN »

Now I have a Montana 700 in my possession for a week now and I am really satisfied with how it works.
Compared to the 610 model, it starts up much faster and seems to go more smoothly.

I had two incidents that were easily resolved.

- The GPS came with software version 4.30. When I connected it to Basecamp I received the notice of a new version, 5.30. I completed the process, and when I restarted the software it was still 4.30. I repeated several times with the same result.
I saw in a forum that there was a version 6.40 and a link to download it, I copied the file to the GPS. I turned the GPS off and on, and this time it worked and it was still version 6.40.

- Suddenly some files appeared in the Profiles folder. They were profile files, with GPF extension and a similar size to the others. The difference was that the name was two characters, I don't know if Japanese, Chinese...
These files could not be renamed, deleted, moved, copied... I received an error message every time I tried something with them.
I contacted with the support, that gave me the solution: Restore the GPS to its initial state.
This is done by pressing the start button until the led lights up red. Release the button and make two short presses. The GPS remains in its initial state, erasing everything else.

The worst thing I see is that the USB connection is still the same, with technology that is more than 20 years old.

On a device with Wi-Fi, it would be desirable to be able to use it to manage folders and files.
I guess Garmin will ignore this, but it is possible to add this to the list of Requested Features?

Greetings
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: First impressions

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Feature Request #35 added at GPSrChive > Montana 7x0 > Common Issues.

Thank You.
CarlosN

Unread post by CarlosN »

About the Wi-Fi, I have checked that if I add a network, and this network does not broadcast the SSID, I write the SSID and the password and I always receive the same message: Connection failed to XXXXXXX.

I have a second network on an access point that does broadcast the SSID and on that one I have no problem connecting to it.
I don't know if it is a problem with my network or something attributable to the GPS.
If anyone else can try and publish the result I would appreciate it.

Greetings
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

@CarlosN,

Please see GPSrChive > Montana 7x0 > Common Issues > Bug 26.

This is a known issue with all Garmin GPSr.
CarlosN

Unread post by CarlosN »

OK. Thank you

Return to “Montana 7x0”