Release Update on WLAN - Security Risk

Discussion related to the Garmin Montana 7x0 series GPSr
wwerner

Release Update on WLAN - Security Risk

Unread post by wwerner »

At least here in Europe it is very common to travel with a portable hotspot which transfers the connection from a SIM card to a wireless LAN between the hotspot and phones or other devices (e.g. GARMINs). This is to avoid data roaming between countries while traveling.
Unfortunately the Garmin Device might use the mobile WLAN connection to perform an upgrade! This might create unexpected cost for data traffic on the SIM card but more important might create a dangerous situation.
Just imaging a user is somewhere in the wilderness where a GPS might be extremely important and the update is basically killing the device and/or the map information after spending some time in a place with WLAN.
The device should ALWAYS ask the user for permission BEFORE a download and installation. In my view the current implementation of the WLAN update is a big security risk.
Regards
WWERNER
CarlosN

Re: Release Update on WLAN - Security Risk

Unread post by CarlosN »

It is not normal for a device to update without notice and permission, although I know how Garmin does things.
There is always the option of turning off the WiFi.

Greetings
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

We agree that the owner of the GPSr should be given the option before updates are downloaded, and have requested Garmin reverse their automatic 'pushing' of device updates without authorization.

We request others call Garmin Support and do the same. Request a ticket number for confirmation that your voice is heard!
wwerner

Unread post by wwerner »

We agree that...
Just curious: Who is "we"?
ramz

Unread post by ramz »

Count me in....

Return to “Montana 7x0”