Garmin Announces Montana 7x0

Discussion related to the Garmin Montana 7x0 series GPSr
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Garmin Announces Montana 7x0

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Garmin have announced the Montana 7x0 today, August 5, 2020.

See the Garmin press release here.

GPSrChive > Montana > Montana 7x0 is now LIVE!
truckinguy

Re: Garmin Announces Montana 7x0

Unread post by truckinguy »

After just seeing a few utube videos on this new Montana. It seems like a great unit. I love the larger screen area although it has Gorilla glass and that worries me. As I break my phones glass too often. Maybe being a thick case you would have to actually drop it hard flat down on a pointed object like a rock to break.
I have old eyes and being able to have that screen while hiking is going to be great. At first I thought what a monster but like anything once you get use to it things work out. Also in my case I could use it on my snowmobile and that's were this unit will shine as my present mount for Montana 680 is down on the handle bar riser and can't pick it up closer to my face while riding as I do while hiking.
Being the virus took my income I will have to wait to purchase this unit and will at some point. Mostly cause of the screen size and the GPS,Galileo,Glonass choices with the antenna and also the port for an external antenna which is back and great to have.
searchjaunt

Unread post by searchjaunt »

I've seen these videos but they are nothing more than promotional.
That happens each time and last time I even waited a year before buying a gpsmap 66 and even than it didn't even worked as close/good as these earlier videos claim to be.
A pity, since I see also see the same benefit in the big screen as you do, but it needs to perform/work properly too.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

While Garmin certainly have a well deserved reputation for releasing products while still in 'beta', it is our understanding that Garmin really wanted to get this one 'right', and that the Montana 7x0 has received an unprecedented amount of pre-release development and testing in an effort to provide the consumer with a highly polished and bug free product at the time of launch.
searchjaunt

Unread post by searchjaunt »

Glad to hear this intention. I hope that they've aimed high enough as standard. The GPSmap 66 I currently own still contains a serious amount of issues (see elsewhere on this site) where I'm still waiting for a fix (for a long while now).
bonstetten

Unread post by bonstetten »

I have been buying new Garmin GPS models for years. While I was always satisfied with the hardware, after all these years I am disappointed by the software. There is enough to read about it here in the forum.
I'm afraid that with the Montana 700 a "banana model" will come on the market again, which has to mature at the customer and not mature before the next model will appear.
This prevents me also from buying "InReach" in the device - I have lost confidence in the devices (SW). On important tours I already take a 2nd GPS with me today. (I have already once suddenly found myself in nature after a "Freeze" of the GPSMAP 66 where the loaded maps where "lost").
But: I like to be positively surprised after years.
truckinguy

Unread post by truckinguy »

My wife has and uses the 66 and it works fine. I always bring one of my Montanas. We did a 8.5 mile hike this past weekend and it performed flawlessly. As it did the weekend before that,before that and on and on.

I would check your unit for corruption either in the maps,sd card, or software,firmware and or trade it in for a rebuilt for short change. Or get a Montana 610 or 680 which I use both all the time year round for many hours a year and no issues.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

We do find the Montana 7x0 pricing matrix a little strange.

The base model Montana 700 is $599 USD.

The next model up, the Montana 700i, adds inReach capabilities and City Navigator maps (with lifetime updates) for an additional $100 USD. That seems like a pretty good value.

But then, the top model Montana 750i adds only the 8 megapixel camera first introduced in the Oregon 6x0 in 2013, and nothing more, for yet another $100 USD. Not a very good value.

An then there seems to be missing a Montana 750 model for those who desire a camera but do not want the inReach technology.
luvvinbird

Unread post by luvvinbird »

Would you know if the optional AA battery pack for the Montana 700 can be charged while attached to the unit? Thank you.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

That question is answered on the GPSrChive > Montana 7x0 > Operation > Power Sources page.

Return to “Montana 7x0”