Montana 700 spontaneous reset

Discussion related to the Garmin Montana 7x0 series GPSr
csewell

Montana 700 spontaneous reset

Unread post by csewell »

Yesterday I had my Montana 700 connected via USB to my PC and added a couple of tracks to it via Basecamp. I unplugged the USB cable and turned it on. For some reason when it came up it looked like it had been factory reset. My icon arrangement, custom dashboard setup, and trip computer and other things were all reset back to the out-of-the-box settings. Is there any way to back up these settings up so I don't have to start over again the next time it happens?
JungleJim

Re: Montana 700 spontaneous reset

Unread post by JungleJim »

Did you properly eject the Montana from Windows? If not it could be that some files got corrupted.

To the easily restore your settings you can make a backup of the files in the Garmin\Profile folder. To restore copy the files to this directory again.
Current: GPSMAP 67, Edge 1040, inReach Messenger - Previous: GPSMAP 66sr, Oregon 700, Dakota 20, Edge 1030 Plus, Edge 1030, Edge 520 Plus, Edge 520
csewell

Re: Montana 700 spontaneous reset

Unread post by csewell »

No, I just unplugged it. It wasn't doing anything at the time, like copying tracks. I don't think I've ever ejected my previous Montana 680 before unplugging it, so the same with the 700; I'm pretty sure Windows has fixed that problem of removing a USB drive before ejecting it. In any case, I'll be sure to do that in the future. Also, thanks for the heads up on backing up my Profile settings. Hopefully restoring that will restore all the settings and icon layouts that I've customized.

Return to “Montana 7x0”