Issue with a gpi file [Bug 56]

Discussion related to the Garmin Montana 7x0 series GPSr
ConiKost

Issue with a gpi file [Bug 56]

Unread post by ConiKost »

I am trying to use the current BMW dealer database on my Montana 750i. But it seems, that the Montana somehow behaves completely different. You can get the Database here: *click*

This is just a plain *.gpi file, which you just copy into /Garmin/POI and everything is done. With Montana 750i, I have the problem, that I am not able to find the waypoints provided by the *.gpi file. If I look via "Where To?", I can't find them in any category, expect "All POIs", if I search for a specific name. But the *.gpi file must be working, as ALL waypoints from *.gpi file are shown on map and I can click them, to get additional details.

But: If I use such *.gpi file on a GPSMap 276Cx or GPSMap 64st, a new category called "Extras" will appear with "Where To?" and you can find there "BMW Motorrad", which contains all waypoints provided by *.gpi. So why Montana 750i does not provide such category Extras? Can I do something about it?

I also asked Garmin for help, but they were not really interested in helping, as their engineers only state, that installing a gpi file is not possible and you have always to use POI Loader (which isn't true at all, since you can just copy the *.gpi file into internal storage in /Garmin/POI)
Garmin DriveSmart 86 MT-D (FW 6.80, HW V8, GPS 9.00.50, 32GB SD)
Garmin Montana 750i (FW 19.00, HW V6, GPS 2.90, Touchscreen 85.07, ​64GB SD)
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Issue with a gpi file [Bug 56]

Unread post by GPSrChive »

ConiKost wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:04 am I am trying to use the current BMW dealer database on my Montana 750i. But it seems, that the Montana somehow behaves completely different. You can get the Database here: *click*

This is just a plain *.gpi file, which you just copy into /Garmin/POI and everything is done. With Montana 750i, I have the problem, that I am not able to find the waypoints provided by the *.gpi file. If I look via "Where To?", I can't find them in any category, expect "All POIs", if I search for a specific name. But the *.gpi file must be working, as ALL waypoints from *.gpi file are shown on map and I can click them, to get additional details.

But: If I use such *.gpi file on a GPSMap 276Cx or GPSMap 64st, a new category called "Extras" will appear with "Where To?" and you can find there "BMW Motorrad", which contains all waypoints provided by *.gpi. So why Montana 750i does not provide such category Extras? Can I do something about it?
Do you have any older versions of this POI file? My desktop software states the GPI file has an invalid file header, and can not read it. I am unable to view the POI file on my Montana 7x0 also.
ConiKost wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:04 am I also asked Garmin for help, but they were not really interested in helping, as their engineers only state, that installing a gpi file is not possible and you have always to use POI Loader (which isn't true at all, since you can just copy the *.gpi file into internal storage in /Garmin/POI)
Unfortunately, Garmin support frequently provides users with something worse than little or no help, they provide incorrect and misleading information that sends users in the wrong direction, making the issue worse than before they were contacted. I try to avoid contacting Garmin tech support at all costs, as they very rarely produce a positive result.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Posted to GPSrChive > Montana 7x0 > Common Issues > Bug 56.
ConiKost

gpsrchive wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:44 pm Do you have any older versions of this POI file? My desktop software states the GPI file has an invalid file header, and can not read it. I am unable to view the POI file on my Montana 7x0 also.
Well, it's from BMW, they are providing directly the GPI file. Couldn't find some older.
gpsrchive wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:44 pm Unfortunately, Garmin support frequently provides users with something worse than little or no help, they provide incorrect and misleading information that sends users in the wrong direction, making the issue worse than before they were contacted. I try to avoid contacting Garmin tech support at all costs, as they very rarely produce a positive result.
Well at least it's their final decision, not to accept this as a bug. They still says, their engineers say, it's not intended to install GPI directly on Montana, so I guess, this bug will be never fixed. Maybe you have more success?

I did a test with some other GPI from internet, those seems to work. But Montana 750i behaves different here, as all those GPIs are listed in "Custom POIs", "Extras" does not exist.

So maybe it's a problem with the GPI itself? But since older devices work, I don't know..
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Older devices work properly with the same file, so the issue is in the Montana 7x0 firmware, for certain.

I have sent the report to Garmin, what they do with it is up to them. :o
ConiKost

gpsrchive wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:54 pm Older devices work properly with the same file, so the issue is in the Montana 7x0 firmware, for certain.
I just found an older version still online: *click*
Could you test with that?
gpsrchive wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:54 pm I have sent the report to Garmin, what they do with it is up to them. :o
Let's hope, that the will do a better answser for you.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

ConiKost wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:28 pm I just found an older version still online: *click*
Well, that one shows properly in my desktop software (no header error, etc.), but same behavior on the Montana 7x0. No indexing in the Where To? menu....
ConiKost

gpsrchive wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:46 pm
ConiKost wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:28 pm I just found an older version still online: *click*
Well, that one shows properly in my desktop software (no header error, etc.), but same behavior on the Montana 7x0. No indexing in the Where To? menu....
Hm, same as for me. So apprently Montana does something different :-(
Btw, which desktop software do you use?
GPSrChive
Site Admin

I use many, as no one single app does it all. Having said that, my initial go-to app for opening most Garmin GPSr related files is GPXSee.

Link is available at GPSrChive > Montana 7x0 > Software.
ConiKost

Did Garmin replied to you?

Return to “Montana 7x0”