Readable in daylight?

Discussion related to the Garmin Montana 7x0 series GPSr
truckinguy

Readable in daylight?

Unread post by truckinguy »

Is the 700 readable in daylight like the Montana 600 series is? With the backlight off? or is it like my phone that is black screened.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Readable in daylight?

Unread post by GPSrChive »

The Montana 7x0 is far more readable in direct sunlight than any mobile phone! In fact, I think it looks better under direct sunlight with the backlight off than it does indoors with the backlight on.

Remember to keep the backlight OFF when outside, it will only run the battery down more quickly and offers no improvement when direct sunlight is available!
truckinguy

Thanks. Sounds good.
Exurban

Unread post by Exurban »

After reading yet another comment on another forum about alleged poor visibility I went outside with my 700i. I’d not had any issues but wanted to fiddle with it. There are some angles of sun reflection where I can get glare making it difficult to see the screen detail. But what I found is that my photochromatic glasses have a significant effect. If I turn the backlight on full it improves. With my glasses off, even with the glare and backlight off the screen was still visible. However, in most angles it is readable. Not as good as the brightness of my XT but far and away better than my phone or my old Oregon 400 or Zumo 660.

I just have to deal with my Rx glasses but it’s a small inconvenience compared to the above devices where in certain light I’d have to stop, remove my glasses, get an inch from it and cup my hands around the screen to see anything.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Thank you Exurban.

I should have mentioned that the display may not be easy to see with certain types of glasses! This is true for the screens in most modern electronic equipment.
CarlosN

Unread post by CarlosN »

This is because the light from the screen is polarised, and if you look at it with polarised glasses, when you rotate the GPS the image disappears, it is almost black.

Regards
Exurban

Unread post by Exurban »

Maybe for some but my “Transitions” lenses aren’t polarized. I think it’s some combination of angle of reflection, glare and darkness of my glasses.
truckinguy

Bought a 700 and love the display outside. And the unit so far. Thanks to all who replied.

The only thing is I wish I could enlarge the favorites bar icons as my large fingers would like that.

Return to “Montana 7x0”