Montana 7x0 Firmware 8.20

Discussion related to the Garmin Montana 7x0 series GPSr
ConiKost

Re: Montana 7x0 Firmware 8.20

Unread post by ConiKost »

There seems to be more new features. With firmware 8.20, there is a folder 'MAPTHEMES' with two *.kmtf files. If someone maybe remembers, kmtf are theme files for styling the map, which is being used on Zumo devices.

I still don't know, if they really can be used, but sounds cool!

There is also a new option called "Popularity Routing", which can be enabled in the Routing menu.
Garmin DriveSmart 86 MT-D (FW 6.80, HW V8, GPS 9.00.50, 32GB SD)
Garmin Montana 750i (FW 19.00, HW V6, GPS 2.90, Touchscreen 85.07, ​64GB SD)
CarlosN

Unread post by CarlosN »

Temporarily, bug #20 can be fixed by forgetting about the "Automatic Maps".

Also forgetting the CN maps. I have never seen maps as bad as these.

There is something I don't know if it is new: if the activity recorder is in 'pause' mode, the symbol appears next to the satellite signal indicator.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

CarlosN wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:05 pm Temporarily, bug #20 can be fixed by forgetting about the "Automatic Maps".
Yes, several bugs can be 'avoided' by not using the Map Page Layer Menu 'TopoActive' and/or 'CityNavigator' buttons, and by not enabling 'Automatic Maps'.

CarlosN wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:05 pm Also forgetting the CN maps. I have never seen maps as bad as these.
So many of us have 'other' maps we like better, and for good reason. Unfortunately, the Montana 7x0 will only perform automobile or motorcycle navigation using 'CityNavigator' maps.

CarlosN wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:05 pm There is something I don't know if it is new: if the activity recorder is in 'pause' mode, the symbol appears next to the satellite signal indicator.
Yes, this is new for 8.20. This is a reminder that the Recording Controls page is not currently recording any activity. See GPSrChive > Montana 7x0 > Main Menu > Recording Controls and/or GPSrChive > Montana 7x0 > Operation > Status Page for additional information.
ConiKost

At least with firmware 8.20 and map sets, it possible to create 'own' buttons for CN, which only enables CN, so it's a possible workaround. But Garmin should more fix that, but I highly doubt, that they are willing to fix this.
ConiKost

Official changelog:
Spoiler
* Improved geocaching dashboard UI
* Improved track manager page UI
* Added custom map set feature that allows users to quickly enable/disable custom-definied groups of maps
* Added activity paused icon to the status bar
* Added popularity map as a selectable theme to the map page on map toggle popup
* Added popularity routing setting located in the routing settings. This feature will allow users to Fixed issue where routes would automatically get deleted after syncing with the Android version of the Garmin Explore App
* Fixed potential shutdown issue when syncing Geocache live data
* Fixed issue with weather forecast potentially showing the incorrect location
* Fixed issue when searching with postal code
* Fixed issue with toggling music controls
* Fixed missing Arabic, Farsi and Polish characters on the keyboard
* Fixed issue when displaying three-digit speed limit signs
* Fixed issue when updating TPOP Active maps in Garmin Express
* Fixed issue where the weather location list would display duplicate locations
* Fixed issue with geocache proximity alerts
* Fixed tracking issue in expedition mode
* Fixed issue when trying to connect to a hidden SSID network
* Fixed issue when trying to connect to a password protected network
* Fixed RINEX logging
ConiKost

Does anyone knows, what is exactly meant by 'Fixed issue with toggling music controls'?
AFAIK, Montana does not provide any kind of music control?
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

ConiKost wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:52 pm Does anyone knows, what is exactly meant by 'Fixed issue with toggling music controls'?
I recommended they not include that line in the change log, but they apparently decided to keep it.

You might consider it an 'Easter Egg' of things to come....

:mrgreen:
ConiKost

gpsrchive wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:02 pm
ConiKost wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:52 pm Does anyone knows, what is exactly meant by 'Fixed issue with toggling music controls'?
I recommended they not include that line in the change log, but they apparently decided to keep it.

You might consider it an 'Easter Egg' of things to come....

:mrgreen:
:shock: :D Interesting, some music player or control via bluetooth (like Zumo) would be awesome in future. I'm really excited about that.

Unread post by 987 »

gpsrchive wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:07 pm So many of us have 'other' maps we like better, and for good reason. Unfortunately, the Montana 7x0 will only perform automobile or motorcycle navigation using 'CityNavigator' maps.
It is very sad that Garmin limits the usability of OSM maps made by others.
Being able to use OSM maps with car routing is one of the key reasons why i got a garmin device in the first place.
The garmin devices has been a very good and open (or open enough) platform to load maps made by myself or by others. These maps often contain information that garmin maps will not offer. This is a key unique selling/buying point to get a Garmin device.
If i cannot use car routing from the Montana i will simply consider using my mobile phone for car routing and maps such as from here.com which even work offline. For hiking i can use a papermap.

I can understand that Garmin are interested to sell more maps, but i am not sure people will like this idea and bad publicity spreads fast. i think Garmin will lose some of the sales. By the way, the specification says that Montana has automatic routing with routable maps, hence one expects routing to work, not just some routing to work.

On the wish list to Garmin, please open up all routing options (such as automobile and motorcycle routing) for all maps that have routing capability.
ConiKost

987 wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:35 am
gpsrchive wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:07 pm So many of us have 'other' maps we like better, and for good reason. Unfortunately, the Montana 7x0 will only perform automobile or motorcycle navigation using 'CityNavigator' maps.
It is very sad that Garmin limits the usability of OSM maps made by others.
[..]
If i cannot use car routing from the Montana i will simply consider using my mobile phone for car routing and maps such as from here.com which even work offline. For hiking i can use a papermap.
I am using 'Freizeitkarte' as my OSM map and normal automotive routing just works fine with it?
So I am not sure, why Montana Automotive routing should not work with OSM maps?
Even other activities just work fine, but it depends heavily on the compiled OSM map, for which activities it is optimized.

The only thing, where Garmin disabled Automotive, I am aware of, is TopoActive. According to Garmin, support for Automotive has been removed here, as they cannot guarantee, that the correct streets will be always used for Automotive. Pretty strange IMHO, since OSM maps show, this will work fine and AFAIK TopoActive is based on OSM.

In this context, it makes sense with Montana 700, which doesn't have City Navigator, that it can't use Automotive routing unless you install a OSM map or buy City Navigator.

Return to “Montana 7x0”