AMPS Rugged Mount charging problem

Discussion related to the Garmin Montana 7x0 series GPSr
tipro2007

AMPS Rugged Mount charging problem

Unread post by tipro2007 »

Hello I have a Montana 700 and when I put my unit in the cradle (010-12881-03) nothing more happens, as if there is no power. How can I tell if it's the cradle or the unit that is the problem. Could some one give me the cradle contact pin chart voltage to check that out? The voltage input is tested ok
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: AMPS Rugged Mount charging problem

Unread post by GPSrChive »

When you say the Voltage Input is tested OK, where are you measuring the input voltage, and what is the result of that measurement? What is the cradle wired to for a power source?
tipro2007

voltage is 12.6 volt on aux power source and i tried the cable direct to battery post too, new fuse tried too,i know this mount have a voltage regulator to reduce the voltage about 5 volts but i dont know on witch pin on connector
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Any A/C voltage present? They are very sensitive to any input voltage fluctuation. That is why I asked what the actual power source was.

I do not yet have the actual pinout for the new cradle, that is a project in process.

However, with the negative lead from your DMM or Scope connected to the same ground source as the black box, you should be able to find a D/C voltage on one of the cradle pins, and a good ground source on another (if power is good, excessive voltage drop on ground circuit may be the issue).

The single center pin appears to be power input on Montana 6x0, and it appears that is also the case with the 7x0i:

Montana 7x0i Internal Dock Wires 01.png

They likely just flipped the remaining 'chevron' pin positions to ensure the old cradles could not be used with the new devices.

Let us know what you find.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tipro2007

Today I did some tests with a scope, the support connect to a 12.68 v battery with no other accessories and with the connector seen from the front, here are the results: on pin 1 and 2 nothing.On pin # 3: 10.7v On the center pin ( # 4) and # 5: negative ground and nothing on # 6.So seeing the results obtained and without specification, I decided to return the support on the warranty. To be continued
ramz

Unread post by ramz »

Beginning on page (24) at ADVrider:

empedrado begins to discover how the powered mount is wired. It all hinges on the gray wire enabling power on another pin. You'll have to read at least 6-8 pages to get the whole story.

ramz
ramz

Unread post by ramz »

More info:

empedrado begins a discussion of the powered mount, and it turns out that you will not measure voltage on the pins until the 'gray wire' is connected. You have to read the series of posts to see what is happening, but essentially, one wire acts as a relay to enable the USB voltage. When the Montana is in the mount, and you apply the correct voltage, everything works like it should.

An aside:
The booklet that comes with the powered mount shows (on page 6) the input voltage range is 10 to 30 V, and the tag on the powered mount cord shows RED 10-30V. I assume they mean DC volts ( a motorcycle battery nominal voltage). I suspect there is a range to account for voltage regulator variances. And neatly cover 24V systems.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

We have included links to a Montana 7x0 AMPS Rugged Mount Diagram in:

GPSrChive > Montana 7x0 > Accessories

and

GPSrChive > Montana 7x0 > Operation > Functional Overview
tipro2007

Hello the support has been replaced on the warranty, thank you for your answers