Map Authentication

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 64 series GPSr
Mikkyp20

Map Authentication

Unread post by Mikkyp20 »

I have a Garmin Oregon 650 and a Garmin GPSMap 64s. I recently copied an open source map from the O650 and put it on the GPSMap 64s instead of installing the map using Mapsource. When I turned on the 64s an error message showed up saying "Could not authenticate map". When the map was deleted the message did not reappear. This only occurred for the copied map all other maps installed on the 64s work fine. I then installed the map on the 64s using Mapsource, and the error message reappeared again. The map works fine on the O650. How can I get the map to authenticate on the 64s. Has anyone else come across this issue.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Map Authentication

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Sounds like the open source map has some form of copy protection, and/or is somehow locked to the Oregon GPSr.
Mikkyp20

I have deleted the map from the GPSr, and reinstalled it using Mapsource, and the issue remains. The offending map is the Japan map from Velomaps. The Velomaps MTB maps also have the issue. I have installed other OSM maps and they work fine. This seems to be and issue ONLY with maps from the 2 web sites below.

Note these maps are installed on a microSD card.

https://openmtbmap.org/velomaporg/

https://www.velomap.org/
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Says in the 2nd link you provided that the GPSMAP 64 (and a few other GPSr) require a different version of the map, eluding that the version that functions properly on your Oregon may not be compatible with your 64.

The precise answer to your question is right here:
Mikkyp20

Thanks for your help. :P

Return to “GPSMAP 64”