When walking GPS compass often does not take over from electronic compass

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66i GPSr
MountainAir

When walking GPS compass often does not take over from electronic compass

Unread post by MountainAir »

I've noticed on my 66i's compass page that when walking, the GPS compass often does not take over from the electronic compass. The electronic compass of the GPSMAP 66 is used when the unit is not moving. When the unit i.e. the user starts moving at a certain speed after a certain amount of time the GPS compass should take over.
When walking, the GPS compass is much smoother and more precise than is the electronic compass. When walking, the electronic compass behaves wobbly and varies quickly over a range of 15 degrees to both sides of the bearing. So the preferred compass when walking is the GPS compass. But when walking, unfortunately the GPS compass only rarely takes over from the electronic compass, and I'm stuck with the wobbly compass needle most of the time. I'm usually walking on avarage with a speed of about 3 to 4 km/h. I've noticed that on open smooth terrain the GPS compass often does kick in, but in for example the forest it almost never does, or I should walk at a marathon pace. Also when driving the GPS compass kicks in nicely and the needle moves and varies quietly and smoothly.
Does anyone know for the 66i at what speed and after what amount of time the GPS compass should take over from the electronic compass? I know from another Garmin GPSr that these could be set by the user. As far as I know this can't be done in the GPSMAP 66.
I often use my 66i for geocaching, and the wobbly, imprecise compass when walking is quite annoying and makes me nervous. It also isn't nice when closing in on the geocache as it makes finding it somewhat more difficult. I know I can turn the "auto" compass setting to "off" so that the electronic compass is turned off, but I don't want to do that because I like having the electronic compass when standing still or slowing down.
Does anybody else also noticed this compass behaviour or is it just my unit?
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: When walking GPS compass often does not take over from electronic compass

Unread post by GPSrChive »

What firmware version is loaded to your GPSMAP 66i?

Have you updated it since your first post and retested?

What were the results?

Re: When walking GPS compass often does not take over from electronic compass

Unread post by 987 »

This topic may be of interest.

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=1260

One idea which has been around is to re-include the setting (which was present at some older devices) that would set the speed limit when the electronic compass or GPS-based compass would be used.

Return to “GPSMAP 66i”