GPSMAP bicycle handlebar mount

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66s/st GPSr
SFP

GPSMAP bicycle handlebar mount

Unread post by SFP »

I've been using the Garmin provided handlebar mount for my GPSMAP 66 on my mountain bike. The mounting is not clearly too good and I have to strong fishing line as additional security cable so that I don't lose the device.

Does anyone know any other more secure ways to mount GPSMAP to handlebar? I have a spare Samsung phone Quadlock case, but I've not yet started to tailor it to for this use.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: GPSMAP bicycle handlebar mount

Unread post by GPSrChive »

We are working on a potential solution now, and will post here again when we have more information.
AndyJ

Unread post by AndyJ »

I loop a silicone hair band under the bracket and up over the antenna. I haven’t yet had the device jettisoned from the mount while bouncing around on my mountain bike after I started doing that, as it prevents the device from sliding upward.

I also slid the zip ties through some rubber tubing while mounting for some extra grip on the bars.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Those are both excellent methods of minimizing the shortcomings of the Garmin mount.

Unfortunately, all zip ties (especially those exposed to direct sunlight) eventually become brittle and break, and usually at the most inopportune time.
AndyJ

Unread post by AndyJ »

True, but I use outdoor rated / stabilized ties to extend their service life, and typically replace them every year or two. The only time they’ve broken over the years with my GPSMAP 62 and now my 66 was twice in hard crashes, where it’s actually better that they served as a “weak link” instead of having something more expensive break (that is, the device itself.) Although, it’s still a good idea to have a safety tether attached to the bottom of the device so it doesn’t get away from you in those cases.

That being said, I am all for something better than the suboptimal cable ties if it was available. I’ve tried 2 RAM mounts and another brand which I don’t recall, and have had them all break (not even in crashes, but just from the repeated stress) so found myself going back to the standard mount. RAM has a lifetime warranty, but the customer has to pay shipping, and I got tired of requesting replacements.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Which RAM mounts did you use that broke?

How/where did each of them break?
AndyJ

Unread post by AndyJ »

The first problem I had was with the RAM-HOL-GA41U cradle. There is a roller at the bottom to help in installing and removing the device from the cradle. The roller has a small nub on each side that fits into a hole in the cradle, allowing it to spin. I had the roller unexpectedly pop out on a few occasions, but was fortunately able to find it after digging around in the dirt ;) However, the nub eventually broke off one side of the roller, so I had to improvise by replacing the roller with a short piece of tubing, using a piece of stiff copper wire as an axle on which it could spin.

The ball and arm system (which I’m using in other vehicles) isn’t practical on a mountain bike, as it’s just too bulky. So, I tried the RAP-274-1U EZ-On/Off mount. I actually really liked it at first since it has a lower profile and is easy to mount and remove, but it would fail after a few months. The diamond adapter, part RAP-274-1MU, has four small feet that fit into the base. One foot would eventually crack and break off just from the normal stress of mountain biking; no crashes or anything. I’ve read other reviews pointing out the same issue, so it seems like a common problem with that mount. It’s probably fine for recreational or road biking, but can’t stand up to the demands of mountain biking.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Thank You!

The roller popping out is a common issue with all of their mounts that use that design.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Please visit GPSrChive > GPSMAP 66 > Accessories for a link to the new GPSrChive Quarter Turn Spine Mount.

Return to “GPSMAP 66s/st”