Turn-by-turn instructions when following a track?

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66s/st GPSr
steerage250

Turn-by-turn instructions when following a track?

Unread post by steerage250 »

I am very familiar with turn-by-turn instructions when following a route - but can you get turn-by-turn instructions when following a track? The garmin web page "Differences between routes and tracks" says:

"Tracks are best suited when it's necessary to travel on a very specific path to reach the desired destination. When navigating a track it's possible to recreate an exact hike or ride that you or someone else has completed previously. If you go off course on a track, the GPS unit will redirect you back to the original path rather than recalculating a new one."

My question is - how does it redirect you back to the original path?

I experimented today, and there were no turn-by-turn instructions, and I have no idea what the Distance to Next was telling me (about halfway along the route, "Distance to Next" became the same as Distance to Dest" - with lots of turns still to come).
Art

Re: Turn-by-turn instructions when following a track?

Unread post by Art »

They are not turn by turn direction per se.. but some Garmin units have a feature called TrackBack, or BackTrack, which provide compass bearing to points along the route in the reverse order they were created.
steerage250

Yes, I investigated "TracBack" on my unit, but is is only for the Current Activity - so probably unlikely to ever be used (and certainly not useful for navigating some pre-planned track).

Unread post by 987 »

If you have a saved track, which is a favourite, meaning being on the first page if you press MENU - MENU - Saved tracks;
then you can use FIND - Tracks and select that track.
I have not tried how it actually works, but functionality seems to be there.
steerage250

yes, the Find allows me to pick the track and select "Go". The resulting guidance is just a bit lack-lustre.

Return to “GPSMAP 66s/st”